Friday, February 27, 2015

Ten Years!


Last night was a "breakfast for dinner" night at our house. I love these nights, and probably should plan them more often partly because our kids go crazy over them but even more so because I am not the one who does the cooking on these nights! You see, Evan is the breakfast master in our house. He can somehow make the best pancakes, the most fabulous homemade buttermilk biscuits, and can manage to cook everything at one time without burning or under-cooking any of it. Ten years has taught me that when it is breakfast night (or a big breakfast morning) that I should just step away from the kitchen.

Evan had a little helper in the kitchen last night. Just one, and her name was Arden. While I probably should have just found something else to occupy my time while those two were working, I didn't. I stood there and watched Evan and his little mini-me together. Let me just stop here and say that baking and cooking with my kids is not my favorite thing. I know it is a necessary part of training, but I always have to be in the right frame of mind to have them right there with me because it brings out every control-freak part of my being. If I ever need to be humbled, I just get in the kitchen with my kids. Seriously. It will bring me to my knees in prayer! As I watched Evan with Arden last night--
as he gently placed full measuring cups in the bottom of a mixing bowl for her to pour and how he never came unglued when she put her hands in the flour or pulled off chunks of biscuit dough to eat--I was reminded of how patient and gracious he is. Ten years has shown me, this, too.

We celebrated 10 years of marriage a few weeks ago, and it was such a sweet time that I want to remember. We didn't take off on a fancy trip, exchange gifts or do anything too out of the ordinary, but it was oh-so good. We looked at wedding pictures and laughed that Evan wore a fleece pull-over to our rehearsal dinner that is still part of his everyday wardrobe. We spent an evening dining at our favorite local restaurant, watching people and enjoying uninterrupted conversation. It was just a great day.

Evan and I have talked before about how answering that "where will you be in 10 years" is really difficult for us. (I think that is ironic for me as I like having a plan!) I am most certain, though, 
  that our answer to that question 10 years ago would look much differently than how things have actually lined out--five moves, six cars, career changes for both of us, loss of parents and grandparents, three babies, and numerous unexpected challenges and blessings. But you know what? Neither of us would trade it for the world!  Ten years of marriage has grown and stretched us in unimaginable ways and we are better for it! 

Here's to TEN wonderful years with the one that loves me fiercely, challenges me, makes me laugh harder than anyone else, is always in my corner, rescues me, and constantly points me to Jesus. I am more than grateful. 



No comments: