Monday, December 22, 2014

This Christmas Season


I am just going to be really honest and say that this Christmas season has been CRAZY with a capital C!!!! It seems as though all the time I spent in November "getting ahead" by making gift lists, planning Advent, working on our calendar. and just all-around trying to get organized was a waste because not much at all has gone very smoothly! We've had kinks with the girls' gifts, things added to the calendar (good things, but still things!), forgotten Advent activities, and just everyday life happenings that sometimes add to the chaos. I wish I could say that I have handled it all with a "happy heart" (as we say in our house) but we all know that can be hard to do. After some major struggles with a few disappointments (and extreme tiredness) in one week, I found myself being reminded by Evan that I couldn't control anything that was going on, but I could control my attitude about it all. Oh, so true! Always wise words from my husband, even when they are hard to hear! I had to just smile tonight when our day's advent activity was to have a candlelight dinner and that candlelight dinner consisted of my girls eating leftover mashed potatoes with Ramen noodles, sitting at the table together while Evan and I snacked on chips and salsa while we were standing at the bar. Oh, and Barrett was screaming out of tiredness and Kendall wanted the overhead light turned on because that was "safer." :)  I'm just keeping it real, folks! 

We have made some sweet memories and continued special traditions, and I want to make note of those:

-Grinch night! Always a favorite for the girls!
-Driving around looking at Christmas lights. This year we made a special visit to some of our sweet
church member's house and they had hot chocolate and cookies ready for the girls!
-Serving stone soup at a local food pantry
-"A Night in Bethlehem" at another local church with friends. We all LOVED this!
-Kendall and Arden participated in a Christmas program at church. It was so sweet and many community families came. The funniest was when Arden was walking past me in her angel costume after her part was over and said very loudly, "No pictures, no pictures!" 
-Hosting a Christmas party for the ladies from church. I love these ladies!
-Taking a birthday lunch to Mimi and Gran
-Watching Kendall in the Christmas parade. It was COLD!
-Homeschool Christmas party-always a fun time! I burned up my mixer making sugar cookies.
-Making goodies for our neighbors, then getting "Jingled" the same night

 I think God is always trying to teach me something about Himself, and this crazy Christmas season is no exception. I have been reminded of His great grace (because much, much has been extended to me in the last few weeks!), how much He loves me, and that joy is not circumstantial--it is a choice.

 Christmas is coming, and I am celebrating! 






No comments: