I sat down for a few minutes today to look for a couple of things on our blog and somehow got sucked into reading a bunch of very old posts. Nothing like putting your life in writing to help you realize how much you've grown over the years. I couldn't help but think of this "saying" as I was reading!
Really, I read through so many posts that and thought, "Did I really say that?" and "Was I really worried about that?" and "I can't believe I was thinking that way!" Oh, how I wanted to delete some of those posts, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it!
If I could go back, I would:
-Tell my "first-time-mom" self to chill out and really ENJOY that sweet baby girl because you are going to blink and she'll be 7 and there will be two more running around to enjoy. Children are such a gift!
-Not apologize for my kids looking like ragamuffins half the time. My kids play hard and like to be comfortable. They also like to express themselves by what they wear. Of course, there is a place for dressing up and I will draw the line when they are trying to wear flip-flops when it is 30 degrees outside, but really...clothes are NOT important.
-Try not to hate those couple of years I spent teaching when Kendall was little bitty. I can look back now and be thankful that the Lord taught me that being a working mom was not for me, but I really wish I would have embraced that season of life with a better attitude. It would have been a lot easier.
-Not stress out over potty training. If I have to use bribery to get it done, by all means--use it. I am saying this as I think we have FINALLY conquered the "not stopping to go because I am too busy phase" with Arden. (I am going to come back and re-read this when it is time to potty train Barrett!)
-Remember that God always, ALWAYS provides. There is nothing HE can't take care of. It may not look the way I want it to look or come in the timing I want it to come, but He is always faithful. TRUST HIM.
-Live the motto, "It's not weird, it's just different." The older I get, the more I love getting to know people and learning their stories. I am learning that pretty much everyone is quirky, but I am also learning how to view people the way God sees them and treasuring the differences.
-Not feel like I have to defend the choices we make as a family. We probably do things differently than others and that's absolutely okay. It would be a boring place if we all did things the exact same way! Our family is not called to look like everyone else, we are called to honor Christ and I am pretty confident we make our decisions based on what would honor Him most.
-Remember that I can't always be the best mom, the amazing wife, the good friend, the gracious pastor's wife...it's impossible. What I can do is PRAY. I can ask God to help me be the best that I can possibly be in those roles. I can pray for my children, my husband, my friends, and our church members. I am going to fail because I am not perfect, but in my failures I can look to the ONE who is perfect!
I sure am thankful for seven years of blogging to teach me and grow me into the person God wants me to be, even when those lessons are HARD. I wonder where seven more years will take me?!
And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6

No comments:
Post a Comment