Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Sick girl!!!-Updated


UPDATE on ARDEN's SICKNESS!

So, Arden's "mono" wasn't really mono. Apparently, we either misunderstood or were given misinformation. If the in-office test doesn't come back positive for mono, that means it's not active in your system. Her "positive" mono test simply meant that at some point and time, she had mono. 

Soooo...about 5 days passed from our initial doctor's appointment, and we saw no significant change in the swollen lymph node. In fact, by Saturday, it seemed worse. We kept an eye on it, and made another appointment for Tuesday afternoon. The doctor we saw at that point scheduled Arden with the ENT (that I had JUST been to see for myself that same day!) so we could have it checked out and possibly lanced. I left that appointment feeling a little uneasy about it all, especially since we were trying to leave for our vacation the following Saturday. 

When we woke up the next morning, Arden looked incredibly worse! The "bump" was huge, red, and looked like it was coming to a head. (Gross!) She also had broken out in a rash all over her body. I called the pediatrician's office as soon as they opened to make an appointment. When the receptionist said, "Can you come at 9:30?" I said, "Do you have anything earlier?" She said, "What about 9:15?" I said, "Earlier?" She finally said, "Why don't you just head this way and we will work you in!" I said, "That will work!" and we loaded up in the car. I just didn't think we had much time to waste! 

We saw a different doctor in the clinic. She walked in, took one look at it, and said, "Nope, an afternoon ENT appointment tomorrow will not work. She needs to be seen today, and I would go prepared to stay because they will probably have to do surgery to drain it."  We were able to make it home with time to pack bags, let Evan finish up some work, have Kendall settled with some friends before we headed to Little Rock for our afternoon appointment. After we waited for a VERY LONG TIME to see the doctor (picture: 2 year old in a doctor's office for three hours!) it was quickly determined that surgery would be necessary. 

Untitled

Arden's surgery was scheduled as an add-on, so we had no idea what time they would come to get her. I was praying hard they would come in the morning because we couldn't let her eat or drink anything past midnight, and if you know Arden at all, keeping her away from food was going to be a hard task! Anyone that called or sent messages to check on her I asked for them to pray she would get a morning surgery time. God is SO good to hear our prayers! Arden's surgery ended up being around 11:30 in the morning. 

Another huge answer to prayer was initially, we were told we wouldn't get to leave until Saturday morning (which was when we were supposed to leave for vacation) but they ended up taking the drain tube out Friday afternoon! We were able to come home and get everything ready and still leave for our vacation on time! Praise the Lord!

Untitled

We cannot say enough wonderful things about Arkansas Children's Hospital and the care we received! The nurses and doctors were fabulous and the facility is wonderful. While it was tricky keeping a two year old plugged up to an IV pole for two days, it was as manageable as possible. 

We are also very thankful for everyone who loved on us during this crazy week! Our family and friends who came to the hospital, everyone who called and checked on Arden, and those who helped take care of Kendall. 

Last but not least, I can't leave out what a champ Kendall was through the whole ordeal. She was flexible with all the running back and forth to the doctor's appointments and never complained about any of it. She loved on her sister and showed her LOTS of extra grace during the days Arden wasn't feeling so well. She even helped entertain her at the hospital, which Arden LOVED! 

Arden has finally finished all her antibiotics (PRAISE THE LORD!) and is doing great. She has a tiny scar on her neck and we will go back for a follow-up appointment next week. The cultures came back that the infection was staph. I am just hoping and praying we don't ever see anything like that again!!! 



IMAG0334

Arden woke up in the middle of the night Sunday night complaining of her neck hurting. I felt around and noticed she had a big bump on the right side that was very warm and obviously hurt when I touched it. I asked Evan to get up and feel, just to make sure I wasn't imagining things and he felt it, too. Of course, I went back to bed, imagining the worst-case scenario! Evan came in, we talked for a minute then prayed about it and decided we would take her to the doctor the next morning instead of the emergency room that night. Between Arden being awake several times, me being a dummy and starting crock-pot apple butter at 4:00 in the afternoon the day before (having to get up and stir it in the middle of the night!) and crazy pregnancy dreams--I got VERY little sleep, but  managed to wake up enough to call the doctor when the office opened and get an early appointment. 

The doctor felt around, checked her out, and took some blood. Sweet Arden took the blood work like a champ with not a single tear! We couldn't believe it! Arden's bump is a swollen lymph node, so the doctor sent us home with antibiotic and told us to have her lie on a heating pad three times a day (good luck with that!) to reduce the swelling. 

I spent a good part of yesterday afternoon and this morning praying we would have answers. I really just didn't want the answers to be inconclusive. Thinking we wouldn't hear anything until tomorrow or so, I received a phone call this morning confirming that Arden is on the backside of MONO!!! Crazy, but I'm so thankful we know the cause of her puny-ness. I have no idea where she caught it, but I am just praying it passes quickly and that none of the rest of us catch it! 

For now, we are slowing down a little, hanging out at home a lot, and just resting up!

No comments: