I cannot even believe I am about to post about food on here, being that we've enjoyed 2 cookouts and 2 picnics in the last three days (and our leftovers from Havana Rumba on Friday) but as I'm sitting here making out my grocery list, I couldn't help but think of two meals we've had recently that are worth sharing.
My sweet Mimi occasionally sends coupons in the mail. I love it when she does this! It reminds me so much of my mom who used to do the same thing when I was in college. Recently, Mimi sent me an envelope of coupons and an article out of an All-You magazine about slow cookers. I read the article, but I also found a recipe on the backside that sounded pretty yummy, so a couple of Sundays ago, I gave it a try.
Chipotle Shredded Beef
1 7 oz can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (couldn't find, so I just used green chiles)
1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced (I pressed)
1-2 lb. beef chuck pot roast, fat trimmed
Salt and Pepper (I used Kosher salt, no pepper)
In a blender or food processor, puree chiles with sauce until smooth. Spoon 2 1/2 Tbsp. into slow cooker; reserve remainder for other uses. Add tomatoes, lime juice, onion, and garlic; stir to combine. Season beef with salt and pepper and add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high until beef is tender enough to shred easily with a fork, about 6 hours. Using two forks, shred meat; spoon into serving bowl with sauce. Serve like tacos.
I think we got about four meals out of this recipe; it was so yummy. It's just a good spin on ordinary tacos.
I also wanted to share a recipe that probably most are familiar with, but not necessarily as a meal...Party Sandwiches! (Evan gives a lot of our meals special names, and he calls these "Little Crystals." I'm sure someone out there will get that!) I do this probably once a month and it usually seems like it's towards the end of the month when I'm needing to stretch my $$$ a little more. I also figured out a way to do it cheaper, which is even better!
Party Sandwiches
1 pkg. thin-sliced ham
1 pkg. sliced Swiss cheese
1 pkg. party buns (I used sandwich buns this last time--$1 a package! Same taste, just bigger sandwiches!)
1 stick butter
1 tsp. poppy seeds
1 tsp. mustard
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Place the bottom of the party buns in a 9x13 baking dish. Add ham and cheese to each bun, then cover with the top of the bun. Melt the butter, then mix the rest of the ingredients with the butter. Pour butter mixture on top of sandwiches. Bake @ 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
Usually when we have Little Crystals (ha!) I make sweet potato fries or ranch potatoes. Both are super easy. I use Paula Deen's sweet potato fry recipe. I learned ranch potatoes from my college roommate Kelly--wash and cut up potatoes (don't even peel them), put them in a freezer bag with some olive oil and dry ranch dressing mix, shake until covered, then spread on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for about 15-20 minutes. YUMMY!!!
I'm now in the market for some easy summer meals, so I'd love to hear any great ideas. Winter is always easy with soups, but I don't like to eat soup in the summer very often. I've added BLT's to our list for the summer (somehow I've miraculously fallen in love with tomatoes over the last couple of years. Never ever liked them before!) and have some good pasta salad recipes, but those don't fill Evan up very well. Any ideas????
3 comments:
I've always called those Bunco buns! Love them
Yum! I love those sandwiches, and saw the Chipotle recipe in All You too. I just put my favorite lasagna crock pot recipe on my blog here: http://savemoregivemoregoal.blogspot.com During the summer, I tweak most of our favorite meals to cook in the crockpot. Tonight I'm trying my cheesy chicken and rice recipe in the crockpot. :)
YUMMY! I am definitely going to try the shredded beef recipe!
Post a Comment