Thursday, April 15, 2010

Earthly Heroes

Last night I placed an order for invitations to the man pictured above's 90th birthday party.


That man is my dad's dad, my Papaw.


In my eyes, there are only about three other men who compare to him--my daddy, my Grandaddy, and Evan. Hands down, that's it.


I don't know life without my Papaw. I grew up living right next door to him from birth until I was 17 years old. In fact, I actually grew up in the same house as he did. Pretty cool, huh?


He's just an amazing man. He's smart, funny, kind, generous...and most importantly, he loves the Lord.


When I went to visit them last week, he and my Mammaw just celebrated their 64th wedding anniversary. He had flowers in a vase for her. Isn't that amazing??? After 64 years, he still buys her flowers.


I asked Papaw last week, "Can you believe you are about to turn 90 years old? That seems crazy to me. Do you feel like you are 90?" He held up his hand and tried to make a fist. He said, "You see that? I can't grip anything anymore. That's as far as my fingers will go. (He couldn't touch to the palm of his hand.) I just can't really use my hands anymore. That's what feels 90."


I fought back tears after he said that to me! Here is a man who could be aching and complaining about anything and everything, and all he said was that his hands felt like they were 90. Incredible.


He really is as sharp as a tack...Still drives, still serves in various areas at church and in their community, learned how to cook so he could take care of my Mammaw....and he's 90! It really just blows my mind.



Today when I got home from school, there was a package sitting on our front porch. I knew we hadn't ordered anything recently, so I was surprised to see something sitting there. When I went to get the box, I saw my Papaw's handwriting on the outside. This index card was in an envelope attached to a box that was wrapped and taped:



My grandparents have several pecan trees in their yard, and every fall (for my entire life) we've enjoyed the harvest of those trees. My freezer has always been packed with at least one bag of pecans. While I was at their house, I asked Papaw if they had any to spare and of course he said "yes." However, when I got ready to leave, we never made it out to the shop to get any from the deep freezer.


How precious that he remembered! And what a precious memory to treasure! You'd better believe that hand-written index card (from the man who can't use his hands anymore) is being tucked away in a safe place.


Thanks, Papaw. You are one of my Earthly Heroes.

5 comments:

Beth said...

That is so sweet! I have to admit I sat here and cried as I read that. We are truly blessed to have Godly men our lives!

aunt judy said...

You come from good stock....no doubt about it!

Jesse and Laura Pounders said...

so sweet!

The Huneycutt Family said...

Makes me want to cry! So glad that you posted that sweet note. I just love reading handwriting from someone who has obviously lived a long, full life. You should have Kendall "write" something back to him. It's fun comparing young and old.

Cassie said... said...

what an amazing man. I miss my grandpa so much.