Tuesday, February 16, 2010

pure love

I think I've spoken of my love for this book, right?

Since we've been married, Evan has often requested chicken spaghetti for dinner. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've made it for several reasons. One, most recipes call for Velveeta cheese. Not that we have anything against Velveeta, but neither of us prefer it. Two, most CS recipes take forever to assemble. You have to cook and shred/debone chicken, cook noodles, cut up Velveeta, mix together, etc. In the process of the assembly, half the pots and pans in my kitchen would get dirtied up. And then after all that work and such a messy kitchen, the recipes I'd used never tasted that great.


That is, until I discovered the Pioneer Woman's recipe for chicken spaghetti.


This was the first recipe I tried out of the cookbook (not counting the cinnamon rolls and enchiladas that I made before I owned the cookbook.) and right after we cleaned up the first pan, Evan asked me to make it again. (Like, he wanted it the next week!) That's how yummy it tastes.

I'm won't repost the recipe, because clicking on the link above will take you straight to it, but I will tell you why I love it.


1.) It calls for cheddar cheese, NOT Velveeta.

2.) It also calls for fresh onion and green pepper, not Rotel. I also am a fan of the fresh veggies.

3.) The recipe says to cook the noodles in the chicken broth. (Duh. One pot. Why didn't I think of this before??? That's why she's got a cookbook and I don't, right?!)

4.) Tops, it takes 30 minutes to assemble, then roughly 30 minutes to cook.

5.) It makes A TON. Can we say leftovers? Freeze? Or a great meal to take to a friend?

6.) My husband LOVES it. Tonight, when we sat down at the table to eat, he said, "Thanks for making this tonight." Awww.... :)

Just for the record, I don't buy whole chickens. I just use chicken breasts. When my cousin Laura made this recipe, she used a rotisserie chicken and said it was great. She also sauteed the green pepper, just to get rid of the crunch. (I prefer the crunch!) If you don't like chopping veggies, I think you can buy frozen onion and green pepper (called recipe starters, I think?) and use instead. I also leave out the pimentos. That's the great thing about a yummy recipe...you can totally make it your own.


Pure love. That's what it is at our house! Try it and see if you feel the same way! (Then let me know!)

4 comments:

Kara said...

I'm so glad you posted that because I thought there was something wrong with me because I really don't care for Velveeta and Rotel in casseroles. A lot of blogs/recipes really push those two ingredients and I agree-it's never really that great. My friend recently sent me a Mexican Chicken recipe that didn't use Velveeta! It was better! Now I have a new chicken spaghetti recipe, too!

Jesse and Laura Pounders said...

LOVED it! I need to make this again this week to freeze for after Finley gets here!

Cassie said... said...

I can't wait to try it...and now I can't wait to get her cookbook. I love her blog

Unknown said...

I made it today because you said so, and I loved it. My dog was flipping out because the only time I poach chicken is when she's been sick, so she thought it was for her.

I'm happy with how much food it is - We're fed through Friday.