So one day, I make my thoughts known to Evan about making a pie from scratch, crust and all, and say, "Since you like apple pie so much, I think I'll try that." Evan is very encouraging and says, "I think that's great, but maybe for your first one you should start out with some sort of pudding-based filling instead of apple." Thanks a lot for the confidence, honey. :)
I spent some time looking through cookbooks for recipes and even online, but I still wasn't sure what would be the best way to make the crust since I'd never done it before. So, I email my Mimi to ask her about making a crust. Her reply was, "I understand your desire to do something you've never done before, but Pillsbury makes a great refrigerated one that tastes just like homemade. Why waste the time?" Let me just add, that my Mimi and my Mammaw are the ones I've ALWAYS called for cooking advice, because they are the ones I measure good food against.) Needless to say, after Evan's comment AND Mimi's advice, I was more than determined to do this myself. :) (Mimi, I know you are reading this. I love you very much and still think you are one of the best cooks on the planet.) :)
I did some more asking around about crusts/pies, looking at recipes and finally my sweet friend Carolyn Muse laughed at my story, gave me some pointers, then brought two recipe books for me to check out.
Today, while Kendall was napping...I did it. I made an apple pie completely from scratch.
Mixing up the crust
crust rolled out and in pie pan (it's not very pretty, so don't click up close!)
8 cups of apples, peeled and sliced
Instead of a double crust, I went with a French crumble variation. Brown sugar, butter, and flour mixture on top. It got ALL over the cookie sheet, and I didn' t really think anything about it, until after about 10 minutes I smelled something burning. At that point, I took the pie out of the oven and transferred it to a clean cookie sheet. Much better. :)
Fresh out of the oven!
Finished product!
We put Kendall to bed and enjoyed an "at home" date of dessert and coffee! Evan said that the pie tasted great, especially for my very first one ever, and that I could make it anytime!
As far as the crust goes, I'm not going to say that I'll never buy Pillsbury, but I really didn't think making the crust was that much trouble, especially since I had all the ingredients in my cabinet. I thought peeling and cutting all those apples was the most time consuming.
Now, who wants to come over and finish it for me?!?!?!
2 comments:
The pie looks great! I have a no fail crust recipe if you ever need another one. It's my mom's and it is good every time, not always pretty, but delicious!
That looks awesome! What an ambitious task. I am proud of you for not being discouraged! You better watch out though. People will start asking you to bring those to holiday gatherings and parties now! haha!
Post a Comment