We got home yesterday at about 2:00. Of course, Mawmaw (my mom) was very eager to hold her sweet baby girl. Having mom here has been such a great help. The afternoon/evening was pretty uneventful, but the night was pretty brutal. A combination of a lot of things...but as a new mom I just had a difficult time letting her sleep without me watching her or worrying about her. Finally, at about 4:00 this morning, I woke Evan up to "take a turn" and I was able to sleep from about 4-7; it was a good, hard sleep!
Today, we took Kendall to the pediatrician. She weighed in at 6 pounds, 11 ounces. The doctor was a little concerned about her jaundice, so we ended up having to go back over to Baptist East for another bilirubin test. Kendall checked out just fine and as of right now, we don't have to do the light therapy. We will go back on Monday for another weight check. Evan was able to work this afternoon and I was able to get some rest. After Kendall's late afternoon feeding, Evan and I went to Target while my mom stayed here with Kendall. It was nice to get out of the house and of course, I found some sweet little girl clothes!
I've posted a few pictures on here with explanations underneath, so you'll have to check those out. We have a couple of videos, too, that Evan will have to post later. One of them is actually pretty funny. Kendall isn't really doing anything, it's just the expression on her face (and listening to Evan in the background) that is hysterical.
Before I close, everyone keeps telling me that I need to write down things that have happened in the last few days that I really want to remember. So, I'm going to type them so you guys can "hear" them and then maybe someday I will transfer my memories to a scrapbook or something.
1.) Labor and delivery was not horrible. I won't put all the details on here, but you know how your wedding day is kind-of like a blur in your mind? That's how L&D was for me. It was a long day and it was painful at times, but many parts of it I can't really even remember.
2.) I was SO concerned about how Evan would be during L&D and with the baby after delivery. Even throughout the pregnancy, I would ask him, "Do you think you are going to like the baby?" It's not that I thought he wouldn't love the baby or be a good dad, I just wondered about it, because he just never got very excited about my pregnancy. Well, he was fantastic! During the whole process, he was so encouraging! He didn't even just stand by my head and hold my hand; he was in the middle of it and didn't even get sick! I think all his post show how much in love he is with our daughter, but it's just more than I could have ever imagined it to be. He even changed her first diaper! Several times I have caught him singing to her--his favorite song, the Razorback fight song. Daddy's and daughters will just melt your heart.
3.) Sorry, Meredith, but I have to share this. You can get on to Evan for it later. While we were in labor, Evan pretty much kept us in stitches the whole time. When the nurse was going through all the routine questions, she asked, "Do you have any family members with any genetic disorders-extra fingers or toes, etc?" As I'm saying "no," Evan replies with, "My sister was born with a tail." Seriously, Mere, I'm so sorry, but it was SO funny. The nurse was even cracking up.
4.) Sheila Smith was our the name of our nurse our first night at the hospital. No lie. To me, that was just a God thing. For those of you who read this and don't know, that is Evan's mom's name. She wanted to be here so badly when the baby was born, but there was really no good way for it to work out. I guess God knew that Kendall needed her Nana there, too!
5.) Last night, Evan cooked dinner. It's not that big of a deal that he cooked dinner, really, he does that occasionally anyway, but last night it was just really good. He made fried shrimp. That wasn't really the best part of it, though. He made fried pickles, too. I don't know why that's something I really want to remember, but I do. I love fried pickles and his were especially good.
6.) My body is so sore. I feel like I just started a new exercise program. Labor is hard work!
7.) I thought that nursing was something that would serve it's purpose because it's cheap and efficient. I never thought I would actually enjoy it. I was wrong. It's just a sweet, sweet time. We are doing great with it. It's just God working it out for us!
I'm sure I'll think of other things later...but I just wanted to share those. Here the pictures. Hopefully, I can take some of her soon and play around with our camera and picture software and get some good shots of her awake. She has the prettiest wide eyes!
Going home from the hospital. You can't see it in the picture, but my mom bought her a sweet little white gown. It swallowed her. We changed her clothes when she got home. We put her in a Razorback shirt that (I think) was Asher Hester's shirt. Evan liked it! Kendall loves this white blanket. The Robbins family gave it to her. She will be crying and you can wrap her up in it and she stops. It's precious!
Kendall loves to suck her fingers. She was all over this thumb last night. Evan doesn't like it when she's sucking on her fingers. I think it's really sweet.
Not a great picture but you can see her eyes. They are so big and pretty. She has some broken capillaries in them from the pressure of labor, that is why the right one looks red. The doctors say the redness goes away in a few weeks. Even with the redness, her eyes are still beautiful. She has LONG eyelashes on the top, just like her daddy!

7 comments:
Ok, Leah, I was tearing up and laughing at the same time when I read this post. All I can say is, I am just so happy for you, Evan and little Kendall. What a sweet family you are. I just love you guys! It was so good to talk to you today- I'm looking forward to seeing you all in November!!
~Miranda
I'm so glad you're family is home safe and sound! She is just precious and I know Meredith can't wait to get her hands on her new niece! Speaking of Mere....That comment Evan made about the tail had me laughing SO hard..I even woke up Grant b/c I was laughing so loud!LOL
Leah, she is just beautiful.
Please know there is not a thing you can do about the boy/girl thing. Even if you have her dressed in ALL pink and called her Grace, someone would still call her a "he". People just don't have a clue sometimes.
I bet she is cute sucking her thumb, though I understand Evan's feelings too. My first two were pacifier suckers which was great...I could take those away. By the time we got Maria (at age two) she was a HUGE thumbsucker and still is. I can't take her thumbs away. :) We are hopeful Joshua will stick with the pacifier his foster mom is using.
And nursing, I loved it. I did it for a year with both. Wouldn't change it for the world. And it is cheap.
So glad you are home. Enjoy these times, but try really hard to sleep. It is important. :)
Reba
We are sooo happy for you guys!! We just can't wait to see her!! Reba's right; it doesn't matter what the name is, what they're wearing or anything, people will NEVER get the gender right. I just don't understand. Zayde seriously looked like a 90 year old man, ALWAYS wearing blue, and people would call him "she." Kendall definately looks like a little girl; she is so beautiful!
She is precious. Congratulations!
keith's mom called caleb "she" and allee "he" until caleb was about 3 and allee was 2. it's still a big joke with keith and i. i can tell you that you will take about 1000 pictures of her sleeping in the next year. it is so peaceful to watch your baby sleep!
This post made me laugh AND cry. It is so sweet watching a daddy with his baby. And then to hear you say how God has given you a heart to ENJOY the things He's allowed you to do (nursing, etc.). Really amazing. Really God. My heart is so full right now thinking about God's favor on your lives and all His blessings. He REALLY IS GOOD. Prayin' for your sleep, your body, and that you wouldn't go into major debt on this little beaut that God has given you. ;) Although, it WILL be fun going shopping.
Post a Comment