Saturday, September 22, 2007

Saturday Morning Meltdown

If your read my two postings from last night, you will see that it was about 4:00 this morning before I finally went to bed. Even once I got in bed, I think it was closer to 5:00 when I finally got to sleep. The alarm went off around 7:30 this morning. I'm not sure why I set it for so early; I was not scheduled to begin tutoring until 10:00. Anyway, Evan and I finally rolled out of bed around 8:30; he had a soccer game at 10 to help coach. So, he leaves around 9:20 or so this morning and I am walking out the door behind him to go tutor. I get downstairs and realize I left my keys on the kitchen table and all our doors to the apartment are locked-I can't even get back into the building! Thinking maybe it's just me being paranoid about it and that maybe I put my keys in my purse instinctively, I literally dump out my purse on the hood of the 4-Runner and my keys are nowhere to be found. I tried to call Evan, but even as I am calling him I know he doesn't have his phone with him because I remembered seeing it on the counter as I was gathering up my things to leave. So, what do I do next? Call my mom!!! Honestly, I am dialing her number and thinking to myself, "What can she do to help this situation?" Everyone knows that moms can fix everything, no matter how far away they are! As soon as my mom picks up the phone I start bawling and can barely tell her what's going on. She's trying to give me suggestions of what to do and is being as helpful as she can from 8 hours away, however, I was having a difficult time being consoled! Mind you, I have NO phone numbers of any of the people we've met in my phone, nor do I have the number to Huntington to be able to call them and tell them I can't come in to tutor. In my head I am just thinking I am going to be sitting out in the blazing heat for another hour or so until Evan gets home.


Let me tell you a little about divine intervention. It happens. I experienced it today. Through sobs, I finally am able to call information and get the number to Huntington. Of course, the first two times I tried to call, there was no answer. I then call 411 for the second time to get Gibson and Julie Largent's home phone number. I think they are the only friends in Louisville that we have that don't just use their cell phones. As soon as Julie gets on the line, I lost it again and the tears just started coming! I explained the whole situation to her and of course, she was so sympathetic. Kennedy, their oldest daughter, had a soccer game, too, so the Largent's were headed to the church anyway. Julie came by and picked me up so I didn't have to sit out in the heat forever all by myself. After I got off the phone with Julie, I was able to get through at Huntington and when I told them about my situation (at this point, without tears thank goodness) my boss said, "Oh, your student just called to cancel so don't worry about coming in today." All I could do was sit outside and say "Thank you, God" over and over again! A little dramatic in the way it all happened, but I think this was just His way of giving me the opportunity to catch up on the rest I missed last night.


I made it to the church in time to see the very end of Evan's little team play soccer. So cute!!! They all just run after the ball together. They are pretty adorable. After we got home, we put our Hog magnets and flags on the 4-Runner (Arkansas does play Kentucky tonight) and went to Dairy Queen for lunch. I bet you won't believe that we both restrained and didn't go for the Blizzard! On our way home, we stopped to check out a used bookstore I had heard a little bit about. The bookstore was a little cluttered for me, so I don't know that I'll be doing much shopping in there! Now we are home resting and just hanging out before the Razorback game comes on TV.


Hope you enjoyed my little story...at least now I can laugh about it. I'm off to take a nap!!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

My goodness! What a time you had. Being 9 months pregnant doesn't help situations like that! I'm so glad it all worked out. Get some rest today!! Aunt Mere's orders!

MommaJ said...

I am so glad that everything turned out well. It is hard enough for me to be 8 hours away, but when the tears start it is even worse. Hope you got some good rest this afternoon.