Saturday, December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!



It seems like every Christmas season there is a song that just speaks volumes to me, and this Christmas is no exception. December 2010 has been somewhat of a roller-coaster for us. Seriously, just a lot of ups and downs...Our budget is about as tight as it's ever been, Evan's month at work is a little slower than we expected it to be, we keep having crazy, unexpected expenses come up (like Evan shattering the back glass on our car during when we had ice!), and we both got sick with the stomach flu this week! It's so interesting to me, though, how even when it seems like nothing is going the way that it should, that we can experience God's blessings in such great abundance.This month alone, we have received several unexpected gifts.....a couple of VERY surprising financial gifts, Evan won a new Windows phone through his work (HUGE because he's been borrowing a phone from his boss for several months now!), I ended up getting 50 free from Shutterfly (after I had planned to cut Christmas cards all together to save money), my dad was able to come visit for Christmas (and I'm going to AR with him for a few days!), and many more sweet little gifts. What a great reminder that He is before all things, and holds all things together, as Colossians 1:17 tells us. We are firm believers that God is sovereign in all things, good or bad.
 
One morning last week, I was listening to the above song, then read Luke 1:46-55 that says:

And Mary said: My soul glorifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. For he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on, generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me--holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty.He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers.

I couldn't control the tears as I read Mary's song, and thought about God choosing HER to be the mother of the Savior of the world. I thought about how scared she must have been, how uncertain her future was and how all she could do was sing songs of praise to the Father. Then, I thought about our current life situation and how even in the ups and downs, he is STILL the Mighty One who performs mighty deeds. He is STILL our helper. He is STILL merciful, He is STILL with us always. 

My soul, my soul, magnifies the Lord. He has done great things for me!