Monday, November 22, 2010

New Adventure

Okay, so I honestly never in my life thought I would ever say this, but here I am. I now have a direct sales business. Crazy, huh?

Remember back in the summer when my friend Joyce did a fundraiser for Evan's Africa trip? (Well, you may not remember, but it happened.) Joyce sells Thirty One and when Evan went to Africa, I did a catalog/online party and she gave part of her profit towards his trip. I had never even heard of Thirty One at that point, but when she sent the catalog in the mail, I fell in love with the product! I mean, it's hard not to love fun bags, purses, and organizational tools that can be personalized. Not to mention that it's actually affordable ($6 to get any monogram...a full name, initial, three letters...anything. I paid $8 recently at a local store for one initial on a 0-3 month size dress! To me, $6 is a steal!)

Anyway, after the fund-raiser, I ended up with several free items. I started carrying one of the personalized bags (that I received FREE!) and got TONS of compliments on it. Those compliments turned into orders, those orders turned into more free stuff, the more free stuff turned into more orders, so I just decided to heck with all the free stuff, I'll just sign up to sell it.

I'm serious. I NEVER thought I would ever actually SELL something to help with income. EVER. I mean, I thought about Pampered Chef a few times, then thought about looking into a kid's clothing line, but I never thought I'd actually do it. I love most of the direct sales companies (Lia Sophia, Pampered Chef, etc.) but I just never wanted to end up as that pushy salesperson that everyone runs from every time she comes around! However, I just had a hard time passing up an opportunity for some extra income for product that actually sells itself.

I signed up at the very end of September, and have had four parties and also set up at a Christmas Bazaar (that was a bust). The parties have been very successful and I've even had a few online orders directly from my site! I mean, who doesn't love hanging out with girls and shopping?!?!

Evan is extremely supportive and honestly, with his need to study so much in the evenings, it doesn't really impose on our family time that much at all. We've figured out how to work around it! We're super excited to see what happens on this new adventure! If you get a chance, check it out...www.mythirtyone.com/leahsmith Who knows? You might could get a little Christmas shopping finished! :)

1 comment:

Cassie said... said...

Pretty cool! I can't wait to find out what our new baby is going to be so I can get something with his or her name on it!