Today would be the day that normally I would be headed back to the classroom for another school year. However, this year is different. While all the other teachers are sitting in meetings and preparing their classrooms for another flock of students, I'm trying to organize/pack up all my classroom stuff and find a place to store it in our basement!
Most of you are aware that last spring I did not renew my contract with JCPS. I have to say that quitting my job without another one in place was one of the most difficult things I've ever done, but we know it was the right decision. I'm so thankful for the experience and wisdom I gained the last two years in teaching at JCPS, even in the most difficult moments.
Even when you take a big faith step and don't have any idea what is going to happen, you still have a plan in your mind of what you think will happen. Well, at least I do, anyway. :) (Those who know me well will find that statement funny. We all know nothing EVER goes like I plan it! HA!) The plan was that Evan would keep on working at BTR, and I would just a job teaching at a private school somewhere. Well, that plan was apparently not God's plan. After interviewing at one school, filling out applications, sending in resumes, and making several phone calls, I didn't hear back from one single private school. Not a single one.Talk about blow to the ego! In hindsight, I see this as a blessing because I'm pretty sure I would have jumped on the first school that needed a teacher!
In the midst of me looking for a job, Evan was also trying to figure out what to do. His work at the law firm had slowed significantly, and we knew if I wasn't working, he was going to have to do something else. After much prayer and discussion, he finally accepted a sales position with Cellular Advantage, an AT&T company. It was really neat to see this job come about, and watch the Lord change my heart. I was REALLY, REALLY against him taking the job at first, but now I know it was the absolute best thing.
Through all these changes, Evan was also raising funds for his trip to Africa. I can't even begin to write on here of all the ways God provided for this trip! Absolutely unbelievable! I just know that every doubt I had about me staying home full-time was erased as I saw God completely provide above and beyond. I mean, really? If God could provide the cost of Evan's trip, why could I not trust him to meet the monthly needs for our family?
Evan is working his second week at Cellular Advantage, and I am at home full-time with Kendall. There is potential for me to do more writing for Lifeway, and I will be doing some little odd jobs here and there (helping a friend with after-school care for her daughter and am thinking about doing some tutoring). I've also got big plans for doing some pre-school things with Kendall. Oh, how I'm looking forward to it!
It doesn't always look right on paper, but I know God is bigger than a budget, and we're choosing to trust Him completely! We are so excited to see what is in store for this next school year!
4 comments:
it will NEVER look right on paper!! God's math is not our math. I've tried to do it for 11 years and still can't figure out how he does it. I'm just so glad He does! You will NEVER regret staying home with Kendall FULLTIME. never ever ever. :)
i'm praying 2 cor 9:8 for you guys. one of the MOST important 'works' of all is to be a good parent and you are doing an excellent job!
Well, you always amaze me with your bravery and things do always work out for you, so there must be something to it! I really admire the way you just go for it!
Thank you for sharing your heart! Love you guys!
Wow,.. I didn't realize you all were going through all of those changes. I KNOW it must have been stressful trying to 'figure' every thing out in your mind, and trusting that it would all work out!! Believe me, we have been there so many times too!!:) It is awesome to see God at work!! I think it is FABULOUS that you get to stay home with Kendall and just do some little things on the side. Very happy for how every thing is working out for all of you! Now, we need to get together again... :)
Post a Comment