Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Weekend

Sometimes I hate how one blog post sucks up my whole evening. It has taken me FOREVER to upload these pictures and video tonight. What is the deal? And now my paragraphs are all running together and spell-check isn't working. I'm not fixing it, so you have to just deal! ;)

Anyway, my dad called on Thursday to tell me he wanted to come up for the weekend. I know people think this is crazy, that he calls on Thursday to come the next day, but this is how it's always worked in my family. You don't make travel plans, because everything is dependant on the weather. Arkansas received some crazy rain last week, so Daddy was able to take off and head this direction. I was glad since we haven't seen him since Christmas.

Daddy got here around 5:00 on Friday. (And if I ever say "they" in this post, it's because he brought his friend June with him. You can read about that on the blog I keep for my mom if you care to do so. I just don't want our family blog to be clouded up with my processing my mother's death! That could get long!!) :) It was actually POURING down rain when they got here, and apparently had been since the time they hit the Kentucky line. We hung out at the house for a little while, waiting on Evan to get home from work. Kendall was thrilled to have new attention around for a change!

When I was a little girl, my daddy made my sister, my cousin Laura, and I these baby cradles for Christmas one year. Daddy brought mine to Kendall this weekend. Kendall, of course, thought it was for her instead of her babies! (Funny thing is, that we have pictures of my cousin Lance sitting in the cradle, too!)


It's very special to me that Kendall has this cradle to play with. Maybe someday it will become an heirloom.

We had a later dinner on Friday at Red Lobster, then all of us came home and pretty much just crashed. I say crashed. June and I went to Kroger, then came home and crashed!


Saturday, we had a pretty lazy morning. Evan ran and got Krispy Kreme's for breakfast and then we were all just really leisurely about getting up and about. We made a run to Lowe's, Chick-Fil-A for lunch, then to the Bass Pro Shop. I always miss my mom terribly when this happens. We would have opted for Target. Funny thing is, that in my head I was thinking, "Why don't y'all just drop me off at Old Time Pottery next door and we can call when we're finished," but I thought that would be really rude of me to leave. Then, on our way out of the parking lot, June says, "What is Old Time Pottery?" When I tell her it's sort-of like Garden Ridge, she perks up. I guess I should have just asked. I probably would have found a companion! :)


After our excursion to Indiana, we get back to the house. Kendall was in desperate need of a good nap, so Evan and I left her with Daddy and June for a little while so we could get out by ourselves. That's the other thing about my dad coming this weekend-I had JUST had a pity party for myself on Wednesday because we ALWAYS have Kendall with us. We just don't have anyone that we can drop Kendall off in order to run an errand or two, or to just have some time by ourself. It's just our season of life, being in school and far away from family. Most of the time, I don't mind it, but lately it's just been getting to me! Anyway, when my dad called on Thursday (again, after I had JUST had a pity party on Wednesday) he wanted to know if he and June could stay with Kendall so Evan and I could go out by ourselves! Way to come through, God! Even just the suggestion made me feel not forgotten!


Apparently, Kendall didn't want to take a nap for Daddy and June, they let her cry it out for 20 of the 30 mintues we suggested and then got her up to play. :) I love it. Daddy took Kendall outside and taught her a new trick with her wagon (of which there is a video at the end) and then she FINALLY gave it up about 20 minutes before Evan and I got home.









Falling asleep on ANYONE is really rare for Kendall to do, so I couldn't help but take her picture when I saw her alseep on my dad's shoulders. So precious!
We grilled hamburgers Saturday evening, then treated my dad to the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen for dessert, since Saturday was his 59th birthday.

We went to church on Sunday, then had some friends over to grill steaks for lunch. It was a great weekend!


If you are interested in the video, here ya go! :)

4 comments:

Jesse and Laura Pounders said...

Love the video! That is awesome!! Your daddy does love all the kiddos so much! It is really sweet!

Taylor said...

Too cute! I can't believe how big she is already!! I think you and Kendall look like your Dad!!

ashleydiggs said...

As long as she remembers to have someone catching her everything will be okay! I love it!

Meredith said...

So glad your daddy got to come visit. I know it was the best surprise!