Evan finished the cabinets (see below posts) and I am really pleased with the way they turned out. I'm excited about getting the new counter-top soon and am trying to decide what to do about the back splash. I've had fabric since Christmas for the dining room and kitchen windows, and have plans to get with my friend Carey about sewing, but we just haven't made it happen yet. Hopefully, we will get on that in the near future. :)
We didn't do much of anything else over spring break, just a lot of hanging out and running errands here and there. I did make some homemade spaghetti sauce to freeze and also managed to bake my Mammaw's recipe for icebox cookies. I had a plan to package the cookies up and surprise mail them to all my cousins and my sister, but apparently I can't bake them as well as my Mammaw could. Surprise. They just seemed really greasy and soggy. I've been eating on them, but I'm getting ready to ditch the rest.. Sorry Kara and cousins...I'll try to come up with something else.
Saturday was a very special day for me. One of my mom's best friends, Cherri, and her daughter-in-law, Vanessa, were in Louisville for the Women of Joy conference. Mrs. Cherri is one of those that is like a mother to me. Her two boys, Wes (Vanessa's hubby) and Eric, were about as close as brothers as I could have. Eric and I were the same age and were pretty close all our growing up years. He was actually my elementary school boyfriend, and I think somewhere I still have love notes that he passed to me when we were in the 4th or 5th grade. Isn't that funny?!?!?!
They came over around 1:00 on Saturday, and we went out gallivanting around Louisville. Vanessa read online about all the great consignment and antique stores on Frankfort Avenue, so we had pizza at Fat Jimmys then did some walking around, visiting different little shops. I love going flea-marketing and visiting out-of-the-ordinary stores, but with Kendall, that's a little hard to do sometimes. When Evan got off work, he graciously met up with us and took Kendall home for a nap and I got some child-free time! The weather on Saturday was absolutely gorgeous and couldn't have been more perfect for an afternoon outside! The special entertainment for the conference was Casting Crowns, and Mrs. Cherri just happened to have an extra ticket, so not only did I enjoy an afternoon out shopping with them, I got to go to the concert as well!
I'm not a huge concert junkie-there are only a select few on my list of people I would LOVE to see perform, but I thoroughly enjoyed the concert. Casting Crowns really has great music and such servant's hearts. I honestly felt like I was in a worship service more than just being an audience to a group. We did as much praying as singing! Cassie, I couldn't help but think of you with tears streaming my face as they sang "Praise You in the Storm." Such powerful, powerful words!


I think I've mentioned on here before that I help teach in a First Grade class at church. Well, yesterday was my turn to teach. As we sat down for the bible story, I told the kids that part of the story would be really familiar to them and I was sure they would be able to help me tell the story. I then say, "The story is found in John 11..." and before I could finish my next thought, one of the girls says, "It's the story of Lazarus!" Talk about hiding God's word in your heart!! Isn't that impressive!?!?!?!
One more thing...Tomorrow is my Mammaw and Pappaw's anniversary. They've been married 63 years. It's so odd to think that last year when I wished them Happy Anniversary, my Mammaw was sick and in the hospital, and my family was wondering if it would be their last anniversary celebrated with both of them alive. I would have never dreamed that my Mammaw would outlive my own mother. Just goes to show us again how uncertain life can be! Again, I will be celebrating for them tomorrow and the example they have been to me and so many others.
Okay, I've written enough to last a few days. I hope everyone has a wonderful week!
4 comments:
Glad you had a good weekend! Thanks for the thought on the icebox cookies. I have had that experience before too! haha! Hope you have a great week back at school!
Hey Girl! It's been almost two months since I have blogged. I finally updated my blog, so now I'm catching up on everyone else's. Kendall is growing up so fast and more precious than ever!!
I can't wait to see pictures! As for the song I drive to work most days listening to it and crying too!
My photography class is 6 weeks for 2 hr on Sat.
We are staying here for Easter. We have a SS class party on Sat evening.
We haven't decided on a menu, but we are thinking of going non-traditional. Maybe burgers or something!
PS - The dill dip is a mix that we order off the internet. I will send you one to try. Yummy!!
Post a Comment