Today at lunch, I casually asked a co-worker of mine if he had a good Easter. He answered with, "Yeah, for a non-religious sort of person, it was a good day. You know, the food, candy, and family." My reply was, "So, Easter is all about the Easter bunny for you, huh?" He then goes on to say, "Yeah, you could say that. You know, I've just never been much on religion. How can we really say that one person's ways/and beliefs are right or wrong? I believe there's something out there, I'm just not going to say that there is only one way."
I'd like to tell you that I shared the gospel with him right then and there, but I didn't. I was so taken a-back with his statement (you know you're from the south when you think everyone believes in Jesus), that I sat there silently, then walked to the water fountain and filled my cup, knowing that I'd just missed an opportunity to share Christ. I was just thinking to myself, "What could I have said in the five minutes that I have left that will show him truth?"
I can't get this whole scenario off my mind. I've been praying, praying, praying that my eyes would be opened to lost people, and buddy, you can't get more open than that! In this moment, though, I realized that I'm not ready to share, because I spend too much time filling my life with other things, instead spending time with God.
If we REALLY believe that Easter changes everything, then why aren't we showing it??? People, Heaven is real place with no more tears and sadness, but there is another place that is just as real and it's called HELL. It's more than "lifestyle evangelism" and hoping people see it in our actions. We've got to have the words to back it up.
I'm praying for another opportunity to share with my friend. Don't know when or how, but I know that God can open those doors. Until then, maybe he will see a difference in me by the way I live my life, so when the door opens again, he can more easily accept truth.
In John 14 (great chapter, by the way), Jesus is talking to his disciples and in the course of their conversation says to them, "I am THE way and THE truth and THE life. No one comes to the Father EXCEPT through me."
Do you believe it????
7 comments:
Well, if it keeps bothering you,just go catch him after school and talk to him! Invite him over or something...? I have a very hard time with it-sharing. I had a friend in college-Chinese exchange-and I never shared it with her. It still bothers me. On one occasion, I wrote a letter to someone about it, but that's all I've ever been able to do. I think a great way to share-though I've never tried ;)-is to start with basic questions: why are we here? who put us here? how does a butterfly come out of a cocoon and how does a chameleon change colors? Just basic philosophical questions that really only have one answer that makes sense! There is a DVD set out called Creatures that Defy Evolution...stuff like that. Seems to make the biggest impression on me! Thanks for making me think about it.
Hey Evan! You are NOT alone! I'm ashamed to count the times I've held back my faith. I really enjoyed reading your post and have been sitting here thinking hard about the whole scenario and trying to figure out why it is SO dad gum hard for a solid Christian to simply express their love of Christ. I then came up with this example (talking to myself more than you)....what if a friend came up to me who didn't have kids of their own and said, "Boy, I'm just not sure about this having kids business. I just don't want to give up time for myself." How many of us parents would jump in and say "oh my goodness! it's the best thing in the world...we love our kids sooo much, we don't know what we would do without them" and continue to go on and on.....
i just think....
what in the world??? what is wrong with us???
hang in there...just hang in there
don't beat yourself up about it, but let it be a lesson to you to never pass a chance up again. It's not easy for me. I worlk in a preschool that is full of profs from the UofA. Every day I am faced with so many parents who don't even believe in God. I have passed up so many chances I make myself sick sometimes.
okay, i get it now.
the person you were talking to was a HE, and since evan has a new job, i guess i was just thinking HE and HE....talk about being from the Bible belt! i not only think everyone knows Jesus, I think girls don't talk to boys!! LOL LOL LOL LOL
so i need to rewrite my salutation!!
Hey LEAH! You are NOT alone!
love you!
I'm so thankful for the Holy Spirit that gives us moments like that. I'm praying you will be intentional, make the most of every opportunity, and maybe not NOT wait for the perfect opportunity. Today's the day of salvation. Let it spring up. Be salty. Be foolish. Be inappropriate. Be Jesus.
Ha ha! Well, I didn't delete myspace but I made new one and just have my sister and sis-in-laws on it. I know, I felt like people were all up in my business! LOL! Yes, I have a fb so maybe we can meet up there. I just drove a new church neighbor friend around our neighborhood today. They got a good deal on a foreclosure on the first street. They are having to totally redo it!
I think a lot of us know this feeling all too well!.. Missed opportunity. The Lord has really started to hammer on my heart when He is giving me opportunities and I have used my time wisely in some cases and NOT in others. I think more than not we have open doors all the time and don't use them! Like someone said.. I don't know why it is so hard!!! It is a pride thing for me, I guess! The Lord is really teaching you by this situation though!! -- Holly
Post a Comment