Leah said I should do a post on here to update everyone about what's going on with me these days. So here goes.
Since my job with Clear Title finally dried up in November, I had to find a new job at the first of the year. With classes two days a week and keeping Kendall during the day the rest of the week, I needed something part-time in the evenings. That pretty much left retail or restaurant jobs. I had seen an ad in the seminary job postings for a brand new Chic-fil-a close to campus. In addition to the salary, they give $1000/year tuition reimbursement, they're closed on Sundays, and I figured the atmosphere would be a lot better there than at other places. I started January 8th and have been working about 20 hrs a week since then.
It was neat to see God work that situation out. I didn't tell Leah at the time, but I was a little nervous about how long it might take to find a job, and where I might end up having to work. Of all the applications I filled out that week, this is the job I was really hoping to get. On top of that, I met the owner a day or two after I started and he told me that they weren't hiring anymore when I had come in get my application, but that the manager had told him that they needed to hire me. God really is good.
I'm taking two classes this semester: Theology II & Worldviews II. Leah and I really don't want to be chained to a bunch of student loan debt when I get out school so this semester I'm only taking the classes I can pay for. Also, between my work schedule and providing childcare for Kendall while I'm in class, I really couldn't find another class that would fit.
I'm really enjoying the two classes I'm in though. They both really challenge me to actually think about what I believe and why I believe it. In Theology II we are studying the doctrine of man, the doctrine of Christ and the doctrine of the holy spirit. In Worldviews II, we studying the worldviews commonly held by people today (Christianity, Naturalist, Pantheist, etc.) to see how they answer the basic questions about reality, truth, ethics, etc. If I get time, I may post in more detail about some of the topics I'm reading about and thinking through.
The most common question I get from people is "Are you going to be a _________ (pastor, youth minister, etc.) after school?" I still don't really have an exact answer for that. One conclusion I have come to (and this applies to all us) is that God is a whole lot more concerned with what I am than with what I do. For now, I am just enjoying my classes and trying to learn how to be more Christ focused and less Evan focused.
Friday, February 6, 2009
school and work
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Glad to hear that you are enjoying school and work! Thanks again for being so willing to talk to us about the issues we are facing. We visited Central Baptist Church in NLR the last 2 Sunday's and are planning to meet with the pastor next week! So far, nothing crazy!
i HEARD THAT. That's what I'm TALKING about. That was just good. From only taking the classes you can afford, to God being a whole lot more concerned with who you're becoming than what your doing. . . just GOOD. just RIGHT.
your nervousness was no surprise to me... :)
you are awesome. that's what i think. i'm happy to be on this journey with you!!!
good to hear from you Evan. Glad you found a job that fits into your busy schedule.
I'm so glad that school is going well and you found the perfect job! Try not to eat too many chicken sandwiches- yum!
Can you get me a discount? Or at least a book of coupons-ha! :)
Post a Comment