Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Snowy Day!

Before I tell the "snow" story, I would just like to say that sometimes I hate computers. I don't understand why I can change the font, put spaces between paragraphs, etc. when I type, but when I post, it doesn't show up. It kind-of drives me crazy.

ANYWAY....

When we got home from Nashville yesterday morning, our friend Adam called Evan and told us that it was supposed to snow anywhere from 3-9 inches starting at 4:00 yesterday afternoon. Of course, I went into panic mode because we had NO groceries AND I was scheduled to tutor from 3-8 last night! What do we do?!?!?! At that point, it was about 1:00, and I didn't have time to make a run to the grocery store before needing to be at work. Evan and I finally decide that he should drive me to work (being that I don't like to drive in bad weather) which means that we have to load up Kendall, too. I make out a grocery list, thinking that Evan can run to the grocery store (with Kendall) while I am working. Great idea, huh??? (Many of you know that I am a "stickler" about our groceries; I plan menus and do all of our grocery shopping with a MAJORLY organized list. Evan and I used to go to the grocery store together, but everytime he went with me we would end up way over budget because he likes to just throw things in the cart. So, just the thought of him going to the grocery store kind-of makes me spazz a little bit!) So, Evan takes me to work and he and Kendall drive back home.

At about 4:15, it started snowing. Anita, the lady that owns Huntington, decided to shut everything down at 6:00 because the streets were starting to get bad. I called Evan around 5:00 to tell him he needed to come and get me. He loads up Kendall and hits the road. On a normal day in 5:00 traffic, I have to give myself AT LEAST 45 minutes to get to work, so I knew it would probably take Evan over an hour to get to me. Guess what time he finally rolled into the parking lot???? 7:40!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It took him 2 hours and 40 minutes to come pick me up!!! Sweet Miss Anita sat with me the whole time until Evan arrived! (We watched silly YouTube videos and looked at Photography websites. She is the NICEST lady I've ever met!!!)

Thankfully, Kendall slept the entire time. She was due to eat again around 7:30, but stayed asleep. I was so thankful because I just envisioned Evan driving in all that snow with a screaming baby in the back seat. I'm telling you...that was just God watching over them and keeping them safe! It only took us about 40 minutes to get home, since most of the traffic was cleared by then, and Kendall woke up about 5 minutes from our apartment.

We still didn't have any groceries, and of course, Evan and I were both starving. All I had to eat that day was a muffin, a handfull of Wheat Thins, some raisins, and a piece of ham!!! I was starting to get the shakes! We pull in McDonalds and order our food, only to realize that both of us left our wallets at the apartment. Evan was LIVID!!! He ended up dropping Kendall and me off at the apartment and running back out to Rallys to get burgers. What a night!

Evan's classes are cancelled today and as we speak, he is at the grocery store. (YIKES!!!) He is making spaghetti with homemade sauce for our "frugal" annivearsary dinner!!! I'm sure it will be yummy! I really want to put Kendall in her bunting and take her picture with her first snow, but it is raining right now. Maybe when she wakes up from her nap it won't be raining anymore and we can go out long enough for a few pictures!!!

I took these from our apartment window this morning. Even though last night was wild, the snow sure is pretty!!!





As I finish typing this post, I'm thinking about how last Tuesday we were sitting in our hallway because the tornado sirens were going off and this week we have snow! I thought that kind of weather was only in Arkansas?!?!?!?!

5 comments:

The Hickmans said...

That is so awesome!! I love snow. :) I can't wait to see Kendall in her first snow outfit!

Gary and Kellye said...

As terrible as this sounds, I somehow find a bit of comfort hearing that other peoples' lives are as crazy or crazier than my own!!! :)~

Glad to hear everything worked out as best as they could. I hope the people up there are more intelligent drivers on snow/ice than they are down here!!!

I can't wait to see more pictures of Kendall!

The "W" Family said...

I was laughing reading your weekend trip and your snow day. It sounds like my life- nothing going the way you plan it! Being mad when you are starving, forgetting your money. Hope you get some snow pics with Kendall.

Reba said...

Love the snow pictures...cannot wait to see some with Kendall. I was hoping for one really good snow, but I think that flimsy weather last week was it...I didn't even get a picture of Joshua in it. Bummer. Anyway, sounds like you had fun. :) Those things that don't kill us make us that much stronger...and make our friends laugh. :)

The M Family said...

awww your story made me miss huntington!! i worked at the stonybrook one...which one did you work at?

i cannot imagine being in the car for 2 hours and 40 minutes in what would normally take 40 min at rush hour!!! what a hero evan is!! :)

and what a little trooper kendall is!! i agree God does do amazing things when we are in a jam!