Saturday, February 2, 2008

A God Who Provides...

When I was in college, I had the opportunity to teach a Sunday School class for junior high girls. I built some great relationships with some of the families in the church that I still keep in contact on a regular basis. I always had so much fun with these girls! I even had a slumber party at my apartment for all of them at Christmas one year that was SO much fun!

Before I graduated and moved to Fayetteville, two of the girls (Katie and Natalie) and I wanted to have dinner and play putt-putt for one last hoo-rah. We decided we’d go eat at O’Charlys; it had just opened up in Jonesboro and we wanted to check it out. I really wanted to pay for the girls’ food, but I barely had enough money to pay for my own at the time! So, I decided I would pray about it. I told God how badly I wanted to pay for their meal and that if it was meant for me to do so, he would provide the money and clearly show me it was what I needed to do. When we got to the restaurant, another family from our church was finishing up their meal. I didn’t know this family very well, but Katie babysat their two girls on a regular basis. We visited with them and played with the girls while we waited on our table. We finally got seated and the waiter came around to take our order. When he asked how to make the ticket, I replied with, “Just put them both on mine,” still not knowing how in the world I would pay for all of it. The waiter left and we continued to chit-chat while we waited on our food. The next thing I know, the mom from the family we’d been visiting with earlier stops by and drops a twenty dollar bill on the table. I just looked at her and said, “What is that for?” She replied with, “Someday I hope my girls have a Sunday School teacher who will invest in them like you have with these girls” and walks off. (I can barely write that story without tears!)

I’ve been thinking a lot about God’s provision lately. I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s because Evan and I are in a season right now where we are truly experiencing His faithfulness, but it makes me think about how I've watched God be faithful throughout my life. I could tell you story after story of things that have happened just since we’ve been in Louisville. It’s amazing! Just like the other night…we had $17 left in our Arvest account that we've been needing to close out and decided we'd treat ourselves to a meal out. Our bill was $16 and some odd change. Coincidence? No way. It’s just God showing how faithful HE is!

Evan and I have no idea about what is in store for our future. We do know that God has been faithful to us this far and certainly won’t leave us. We just have to continually trust in HIM alone…nothing else.

Reminds me of a verse I memorized years ago in Experiencing God…


Psalm 20:7
Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God.


Thank you, Lord, for being so faithful to us and ALWAYS meeting EVERY need!!!

2 comments:

The Hickmans said...

Those are such awesome stories! I always love hearing about others' stories of God's faithfulness. Thanks!

The "W" Family said...

What a great story! I know sometimes when God answers my prayers, I think "oh what a coincidence" or "that was just supossed to happen", instead of giving God the praise for answering the prayer. He is so good to not only take care of the
"big" things, but the "little" ones too. Thanks for reminding me of that!