Sunday, January 6, 2008

Eating My Words

Before Evan and I had Kendall, one thing that would drive us crazy was when people would bring their baby into Sunday School and the worship service. I mean, really? Was the nursery not good enough for these parents?

So, here we are, Kendall is almost three months old and I still haven't put her in our church nursery. I'm EVEN struggling with WANTING to put her in there! I think there are lots of reasons why I can't stand the thought of taking her to the nursery...cold and flu season in full swing and my extreme fear of Kendall getting sick (stupid...I know...she's human, sickness is going to happen!), about 17 babies with three adults, and it's not FBC Farmington where my mother-in-law and Dawn W. would be taking care of Kendall and she would get a lot of attention! Plus, Kendall is a GOOD baby!!! She rarely cries out when we are out ANYWHERE; she will sit and look around and just make faces. (However, cute babies like Kendall can be just as distracting as crying babies!)

Beth, the children's director at our church, gave me a VERY hard time this morning about not leaving her. She laughed and said that Kendall would by-pass Babies A and go straight to Babies B!!! Beth also told me to try to get myself ready this week and leave her in the nursery next week at church...UGGGHH...I just don't know! I know Evan is ready to take Kendall to the nursery, but I am just not!!! Why am I so scared???? Should I just suck it up and go for it? Or should I wait until cold and flu season is over?

On another note...we learn new things about Kendall everyday. She is so fun! We have come to learn that she HATES loud noises. She screams bloody murder at the sound of the bathtub faucet running and flipped out yesterday when I took her in the bathroom at Chik-Fil-A to change her diaper. She did not like the sound of the toilet flushing! She can also figure out pretty quickly when she is in a room alone and will whine and whimper until one of us gets in the room! Kendall has also learned what we call the "fake out" where she will start crying but then as soon as one of us starts talking to her or playing with her, she smiles and laughs. She definitely knows how to get attention! Being parents is so much fun. It's not always easy; there is a lot of learning and work, but it really is SO much fun!

8 comments:

The Huneycutt Family said...

Don't worry - it's normal with the first one to not want to leave them. Go ahead . . .it really will be ok. I promise. Then, with later ones, you'll take them to the nursery right away and cherish those few minutes as grown ups without kids!

I am headed to Louisville - - - with 6th and 7th graders! The club I do at school is planning our end-of-the-year trip to the Louisville area and to Mammoth Cave. We're coming in the middle of May. We're planning on doing the science museum, six flags (they have a special outdoor classroom session), and Mammoth cave as our main things. Do you have any recommendations? Good places to eat? Fun places to go? I would love to get to see you while we're there!

The Hickmans said...

I was probably one of those moms that you got sick of bringing her baby to Sunday School and church services. Now you know why!! It was sooooo hard to do the first time, but each time was easier. We still take him to Sunday School, but we're stopping that next Sunday. Good luck!

B said...

I had a really hard time until she started becoming really mobile. Then really, the choice is easy to make. lol. Now, I just tell myself she will have WAY more fun in the nursery where she can play! Good luck and I say take the time you need and don't let anyone pressure you! You'll be ready when you are ready.

Reba said...

I just laughed reading your post. We went to church for the second time with Joshua...we have not taken him to the nursery yet. I know I need to. He is a bit of a distraction. He can be really loud at times, just talking and babbling. (I do leave the sanctuary when he starts) But I haven't felt right taking him to the nursery yet when he just got here, since we are trying to get his routine worked out. Ugh. I know I need to...

Yes, being a parent is fun. And each day is a learning adventure. :) Enjoy each moment...they really do go fast.

The "W" Family said...

If you don't feel ready to put her in the nursury, don't :) I think that is completely normal. We are spoiled at our church with Jamie, Sheila and Dawn. Thanks for all of you encouraging comments!

Meredith said...

I never really had an issue with leaving my boys. I think you are perfectly normal and you will know when you are ready. I'm sure it is an even harder decision when you are in a new/unfamiliar place with people you don't know.

Grace, Hope and Joy said...

I think it got harder for me with each one because I know how quickly they grow! Beth loves to tease so you just decide what you feel like doing. She will be fine either way. Also you could try it one week and keep her the next. Hope you all are doing well.
A

Campbell Crusade said...

I was that same way with Julie! As a new mom I think you can have separation anxiety from your baby. I think I did. when I finally did start taking her to the nursery I would always go back and check on her. I think the nursery workers probobly thought, "what is up with her!" But, trust me.. you really do get used to it and then you want to take them back there. I started Alyson in the nursery much sooner than I did Julie. But all you are going thru is so normal!! it is also really good for them to learn that other people than just mom and dad can take care of them. It will help them to not have separation anxiety later down the road when they can REALLY cry out loud =)
You are such a good mommy!!