Thursday, August 9, 2007

They say it's your birthday...




So, today is my 27th birthday. At first, I thought it was going to be a little hard to celebrate away from home, but the day has turned out to be a pretty good one.


Last night, Evan and I were just hanging out and I said, "Tomorrow is my birthday." He then replied with "Oh, no! I need to go to the store to get you a card." Any of you who know Evan well and have heard stories of his past gift-giving, know that special occasions are not his forte. He ALWAYS has really good intentions, but tends to have a hard time following through because he procrastinates. So, he comes back a little later and tells me how terrible he feels about not doing something for me sooner, and that he felt like leaving to go get a card and gifts was kind-of the cheap way out. At this point, my feelings were hurt, but I didn't want to let him know that too much, so I just told him that it was fine and not to worry about it, since we really had been busy the last two weeks. I then went to the bathroom and cried because I thought maybe I was being selfish by thinking that my birthday should be an important day for him, among all the busyness we have experienced lately.


So, I woke up this morning to a sweet note, another apology, and an offer to fix breakfast! He then asks if I want to open presents and I said, "You don't have any presents." Evan then says, "No, I don't, but Mom sent me with some and if I would have been smart I would have just put my name on a couple of those!" Of course, this made me laugh! We spent some time just visiting with each other this morning, which I enjoy because my main love language is quality time. I ended up spending the day getting the rest of my thank-you notes written and doing my favorite hobby...scrapbooking!


Evan redeemed himself by taking me to eat at The Cheesecake Factory for dinner (I know you are jealous, Kendra!) and then was at my mercy to finish hanging curtain rods and pictures the rest of the evening in our apartment, although he said he would have to finish the last few tomorrow because we didn't need to hammer at 10:00 at night out of courtesy to our neighbors!! Evan did a great job making the day that I thought was going to turn out horrible into a wonderful day!


Thank you to all who have called, sent cards, and given birthday wishes today. You have made my day very special!


As far as the rest of the week for me goes, it has been fine, I am just continuing to adjust to life in Louisville. I am very thankful that Scottie and Allyce have friends and family here-Gibson and Julie Largent and Carrie and Scott Yagar-because these two families have been a blessing to us as we are getting adjusted. Carrie called me out of the blue on Tuesday and took me around to the closest Target, Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and Kroger. I had a great time getting to know Carrie better and am praying there is a friendship there to be developed. She is expecting her third child in September, which will be the perfect playmate for our little one to come! I have an interview with the Huntington Learning Center tomorrow. It is a place sort of like Sylvan; it offers tutoring services to struggling students. I am hoping something will work out. It probably won't pay that great, but the hours will be flexible and it will give me a reason to be out of the apartment some!


I promise I will post apartment pictures this weekend! Several of you have commented about wanting to see what our new space looks like! Sorry it is taking me so long to get those up and going!


This is a picture Evan took of me tonight and my growing belly. I swear our baby is in motion constantly, especially at night before bed! Evan is getting to feel and see the movement more than before. It has been fun to watch and feel!


We do love all of you! I know you are still praying for us, please keep it up! It's making a difference!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Glad to hear you had a nice birthday! Can't wait to see more pictures! Good luck with the interview.

Meredith said...

OK, so I guess the forgetfulness runs in the family...I think we get if from our dad! :) But, HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Looking forward to seeing the apt pics. You look beautiful, as always, and your belly is not big at all. :) Love you!

Momma J said...

I am glad that you had a great birthday. You look beautiful. I think pregnancy has totally agreed with you. You look radiant all the time.

I like the way those curtains look on that window. I can't wait to see more apt. pics.