We have hit yet another milestone with Arden. She is officially over the crib. I was totally NOT ready for this at all, but I guess when you figure out how to climb out, moving to a big-girl bed is inevitable!
It's all quite funny to us, really...We put the girls to bed one night, only to have Kendall yelling, "Arden is trying to climb out of her crib!" We checked on the girls, didn't find anything out of the ordinary, and just chalked it up to Kendall trying to get our attention as she so often does when it is bed time. The next morning, Kendall came in our room at her normal, seven-zero-zero wake up time. Seconds later, we hear Arden calling our names. In our normal, lazy Saturday morning routine way, neither Evan nor I moved, because we were waiting on the other one to get up. The next thing we know, we hear little feet on the ground and see Arden in our room! We all just laughed and laughed. Apparently, Arden WAS trying to climb out of the crib!
We weren't sure if it was a fluke thing or not, so we decided to give it a day or two before we moved her out of the crib. We also needed to make a decision about sleeping arrangements, since the girls share a room and Kendall sleeps in a queen sized bed. The next night/morning, Arden stayed put, but nap time was a different story! She climbed out of the crib three times before she finally went to sleep. That night, we decided to let Arden try to sleep in the bed with Kendall, which is where she wanted to be anyway. Arden sure LOVES her big sister!
The first night was okay. She fell asleep within about 45 minutes and got up about three times. Nap the next day went okay, too. I think she got up once. The next night (and the week following) are a different story. Arden started climbing on Kendall, pulling her hair, biting her...all sorts of things. We finally put the crib mattress in the floor for Arden. She would start in the bed with Kendall, but at the first cry out from Kendall, we moved her to the mattress on the floor.
This method went well for a few days, until we realized Arden wasn't the only instigator. Kendall started working the system and picking fights with Arden to prolong the actual "eyes closed" time. It was also a problem because Arden REALLY wanted to be in the bed with Kendall. Finally...about a week ago, we told the girls they had to work it out themselves. We showed Arden how to stay on her own pillow and Kendall now knows to leave her sister alone! Surprisingly, this is working!!!
Sometimes I really hate it that our girls don't have their own space right now. Sharing a room and a bed is a lot of sharing for little ones. My mind quickly changes when I hear Kendall "reading" books to Arden and just their general laughing and talking each other to sleep. Evan and I often stop what we are doing just to listen because they are incredibly sweet to each other. I guess they are learning a big life lesson early--how to get along with other people when you can't do anything about your circumstances. I really hope and pray they will always remain sweet sisters with a close relationship. It is truly joy to my heart watching them interact with each other!
It's all quite funny to us, really...We put the girls to bed one night, only to have Kendall yelling, "Arden is trying to climb out of her crib!" We checked on the girls, didn't find anything out of the ordinary, and just chalked it up to Kendall trying to get our attention as she so often does when it is bed time. The next morning, Kendall came in our room at her normal, seven-zero-zero wake up time. Seconds later, we hear Arden calling our names. In our normal, lazy Saturday morning routine way, neither Evan nor I moved, because we were waiting on the other one to get up. The next thing we know, we hear little feet on the ground and see Arden in our room! We all just laughed and laughed. Apparently, Arden WAS trying to climb out of the crib!
We weren't sure if it was a fluke thing or not, so we decided to give it a day or two before we moved her out of the crib. We also needed to make a decision about sleeping arrangements, since the girls share a room and Kendall sleeps in a queen sized bed. The next night/morning, Arden stayed put, but nap time was a different story! She climbed out of the crib three times before she finally went to sleep. That night, we decided to let Arden try to sleep in the bed with Kendall, which is where she wanted to be anyway. Arden sure LOVES her big sister!
The first night was okay. She fell asleep within about 45 minutes and got up about three times. Nap the next day went okay, too. I think she got up once. The next night (and the week following) are a different story. Arden started climbing on Kendall, pulling her hair, biting her...all sorts of things. We finally put the crib mattress in the floor for Arden. She would start in the bed with Kendall, but at the first cry out from Kendall, we moved her to the mattress on the floor.
This method went well for a few days, until we realized Arden wasn't the only instigator. Kendall started working the system and picking fights with Arden to prolong the actual "eyes closed" time. It was also a problem because Arden REALLY wanted to be in the bed with Kendall. Finally...about a week ago, we told the girls they had to work it out themselves. We showed Arden how to stay on her own pillow and Kendall now knows to leave her sister alone! Surprisingly, this is working!!!
Sometimes I really hate it that our girls don't have their own space right now. Sharing a room and a bed is a lot of sharing for little ones. My mind quickly changes when I hear Kendall "reading" books to Arden and just their general laughing and talking each other to sleep. Evan and I often stop what we are doing just to listen because they are incredibly sweet to each other. I guess they are learning a big life lesson early--how to get along with other people when you can't do anything about your circumstances. I really hope and pray they will always remain sweet sisters with a close relationship. It is truly joy to my heart watching them interact with each other!

2 comments:
I think it's sweet. Also, sisters sharing beds was very common just a couple of generations ago. Christian & Georgia are sharing a room still & it's not quite as sweet.
Leah,
Your girls are adorable! I read your blog from time to time and I am so happy for you. You have a beautiful family! May God continue to bless you and your precious family.
Rita
Post a Comment