Friday, September 9, 2011

$2 and a whole lot of fun!


What started out as a sorting game with colored pom-poms, ended in a meal with salad and ice cream. That Kendall certainly isn't lacking for creativity in her play. I swear, she can turn anything into anything!

I can't remember where I saw it, but I ran across an idea to use colored pom-poms to teach sorting. I thought Kendall would have fun with it, so I picked up a couple of pom-pom packages at the Dollar Tree one day. I poured them in a dishpan, gave Kendall a set of Bamboo serving tongs, and named colors for her to pick out. Once she found all of the color I named, we counted them together. (FYI-most of this activity was done while I loaded the dishwasher.) We went through several colors before she tired of the sorting. The next thing I knew, though, Kendall had out plastic plates, bowls, spoons, our cookie scooper, and a mixing spoon! I then enjoyed a "meal" of salad (each color pom-pom representing a different veggie), and homemade ice cream.

I kid you not, these $2 pom-poms and a dishpan have given Kendall all sorts of fun! She ASKS to play with them, and will sit for 20-30 minutes playing, creating all sorts of meals. (And if you know Kendall, sitting, doing anything for 20-30 minutes is a BIG deal!) Who knew $2 pom-poms would be such a big hit?!

1 comment:

Cassie said... said...

I used to fill a rubbermaid with dry beans. The boys would play with those beans and measuring spoons and cups for HOURS!