One thing I've learned since my mother's passing is how important it is to learn how to do things. I know that sounds incredibly generic, but it's so true. As the baby of the family and the daughter to a mom who excelled at everything she did, I often feel like I'm okay at a few things, but don't really know how to do a lot of things well, mainly because she did a lot of things for me. Now, at 30 years old, I'm having to learn.
Sewing is one of those things. I've always thought it would be great to know how to sew; it's a handy skill. However, my mom sewed and my mother-in-law sews, so why did I really need to learn? :)Recently, I decided it was time I stopped talking about learning how to sew, and actually do it.
When my in-laws visited over Thanksgiving, I asked Sheila if she would show me how to use my mom's machine. We drug all 100 pounds of it out (seriously, it weighs a TON!) and tried messing around with it, but had some issues. I felt so badly...Sheila sat for an hour and a half trying to get it to work! At one point, Barry walked in and asked how it was going, to which Sheila replied with, "I think we just need to go buy one."
My plan was actually to purchase a newer machine after I learned the basics (I wanted to see if I would actually like sewing before I spent even the slightest bit of money on a new hobby!) but Evan and I were on a spending freeze for the month of November so I knew I wouldn't be able to purchase it while my in-laws were visiting. After Shiela said that about getting a new one, Barry said, "Do it!" Then, they look at me and ask me if I would like them to do that.
Okay...let's just be honest here. As much as I wanted to learn to sew and knew I would have to get a different machine in order to do that, I wasn't about to ask my in-laws to buy a new machine for me! Especially after they'd purchased most of our Christmas and spoiled us rotten on top of that! NO WAY! I knew my m-i-l was having some issues with her own machine and had been thinking of getting a newer one for herself, so I suggested that if she wanted to purchase one, that we could do that, then she could just take it home with her. She then told me she would rather me have it so I could start doing some sewing for Kendall.
I write all that mainly because I want to keep record of all the ways the Lord has blessed us in this season of life. It has been an interesting few months of transition for us, and little things like this have happened over and over again. It's not luck or because we deserve it, it's because of the great God we serve. I'm so thankful to be His child.
So, that afternoon, Sheila and I loaded up and headed to Hancocks, where she got a great deal on a very easy to use machine. We then spent the rest of the evening (in the midst of watching the Hogs-LSU game) playing with my new toy. I know I'm pregnant, but I'm tearing up thinking about that night right now, just because it really was a sweet time with my in-laws.
Sooo...what have I done with the machine since??? Here are a few projects...
So the first thing pictured I didn't actually sew. My friend Kedra and I had a little sewing day a few weeks ago, and when I got to her house, she had an adorable wreath on her door. Kedra and her husband are in the process of adopting a PRECIOUS little girl from Ethiopia, so she's been doing some crafting to raise money. (Go HERE to see her things.) Being the sweet friend she is, she gave me a tutorial on how to make felt flowers and I came home and made the below wreath for our front door. (She also gave me some tips on the fabric flowers, and I've made several of those too, I just don't have any pictures on here!) Let me just say making felt flowers is a little bit addicting! HA!
For the sewing day at Kedra's house, we decided to make skirts. She made an adorable denim/ruffle one for her 5 year old, and I did the one on the right for Kendall. SO easy!!! I ended up making the one on the left at home later. Mind you, both of these skirts were made from fabric scraps I already had.
Then, I decided to attempt the ruffle pants. I LOVE these! Sheila has made several pairs for Kendall and I just think they are adorable. I actually purchased some $1/yard fabric to practice with, and had one unsuccessful attempt that lead me to figure out how to do it correctly. I ended up using the $1 fabric to practice another pair before making the ones below. They are a little clownish...but I think they will be cute with a solid t-shirt for the spring.
This week, I purchased some more $1/yard fabric and made the dress pictured on the right. Again, I messed up the bodice/lining pieces the first time and had to re-do. (Love some $1 fabric for this reason!) There are actually a couple of visible seams that I'm not loving on this dress, but I think I will just get some ric-rac or ribbon and cover those up. This dress was super easy and I will be making more of these for Kendall (and maybe Arden, if I can figure out the right measurements!) for summer.
I also whipped up a Valentine's shirt for Kendall. I already had this black t-shirt in her closet and had purchased it from Target for less than $2 at the end of the season last year. The zebra fabric was scrap fabric, and the lace trim was in my ribbon basket. I am super pleased with the way it turned out!
The picture on the right is a gown I jazzed up for Arden. I've been seeing THESE all over etsy, and I decided to see if I could do it. I want to try again, as the one pictured below probably needs to be a little more full and doesn't have any kind of hem in it yet.
To say the least, I'd say my sewing machine has been put to good use on these winter days. I've been getting it out when Evan is at home and then occasionally during nap/night time. I think Kendall secretly loves it when I sew because she gets to play with scissors and cut all the scrap fabric. Kendall apparently is learning how to sew, too, because she's been working on a shirt for her friend Leah. :)At least that's what she tells us when she's cutting fabric. HA!
By no means am I an expert, and I probably go about putting the pieces together in the most difficult way, but it's working for me right now. The biggest thing I'm not pleased with is the way the inside of the garment looks, but after talking to a few people I've heard a serger is needed to make the insides look more finished. Oh well...nobody will see the inside anyway, right?
(PS. Please excuse the poor picture quality--I didn't crop or edit...these are straight from the camera and a little dark!)







4 comments:
So proud of you Leah! YOu are really doing a great job. I think you've made more things than me. :) My new year's goal is to set up a sewing space in the guest room so I can use mine more and get better. Can't wait to see what else you come up with. :)
you are doing such a good job!
That looks fun! I am an onlooker when it comes to sewing!
It's so good to teach Kendall to sew while she's young. If I had learned at a younger age- I would be super-fierce at my advanced age of 30.
Good for you!
Post a Comment