Friday, December 10, 2010

I love a good surprise!

In the 7 years that Evan and I have been together, I have only seen him truly surprised one time. It was at our wedding rehearsal dinner, when his mom decided to go with a Razorback theme. The place was decked out with all kinds of Hog gear, complete with Pork Chop and Sue E. (the official mascots) who hid in the closet and jumped out to lead us all in calling the Hogs. It was so fun, and it was SO Evan. He loved it.

Fast forward to Evan's birthday this year. I was super excited, because I came up with the perfect gift: the Hogs would be in Louisville for the SEC/Big East Invitational, and I got tickets for Evan to watch his favorite team play basketball. I was super excited, because I actually did it without him knowing...gifts for him are usually tricky because he keeps such a close eye on our bank accounts. I was a little bit bummed when he guessed his present three days before his birthday and even MORE bummed when I found out I bought the tickets through Stub Hub, not Ticketmaster, making them cost more than double what they should have. So much for a great birthday gift, right?

Well, what Evan didn't know was that Kendra and I had been on the phone on those days near his birthday, talking about how fun it would be to get together. She and Brian had actually been talking about coming up for a weekend sometime, but hadn't been able to work it out. During our conversation, I got this bright idea that I would just check on some plane tickets to see how much it would cost for them to fly to Louisville on the days surrounding that basketball game. Imagine our (excited) surprise when we found out that Southwest Airlines was running the $30 ticket deal, making it cost $120 for Brian and Kendra to fly here! Book it? You bet they did!!!

So, for about a month and a half, I kept it a secret! That's huge for me, being that usually I get so excited, I just tell! Brian and Kendra got to Louisville around 2:30 on Tuesday afternoon, and we just hung out, waiting on Evan to come home from work. When Evan got home, Brian hid and had plans to jump out and greet him in the special FBC Farmington-man greeting style (and if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm not telling! HA!) only Brian got too excited, and basically just jumped out and scared Evan half to death! It was so awesome! Evan was completely disoriented and was trying to figure out how we had worked it all out.  

We had a GREAT time with our sweet friends. Kendra and I got to do a little shopping together, and we also played dress-up in my closet. (No, really, she actually helped me put a few maternity outfits together with things I already had...SUPER!) The boys went to Bass Pro, lounged around, and enjoyed the game together that evening.

One more funny story...while Evan and Brian were at the game, Brian calls Kendra to tell her that the ESPN people were out in the stands, looking for Razorback fans to come down for some kind of competition during one of the time outs. Guess who was the brave soul to go on the court?!?! EVAN! How hilarious is that? Apparently, he was supposed to make a lay-up, free throw, and three point shot. He made the lay-up, but missed everything else. Brian video-ed it on his phone, so Kendra and I got to watch a replay after they got home. We were cracking up!

Brian and Kendra left early Thursday morning, so it was a short, but very sweet and very much-needed visit! We love you guys and are so very thankful for your friendship!

2 comments:

The "W" Family said...

how fun! what a great surprise!

Cassie said... said...

How awesome is that! I'm so glad they got to go...and for such a great deal! More belly pictures!!