Several months ago, Evan and I got fed up with Kendall's bedtime routine. I mean, Kendall's routine was ridiculous. She was VERY rigid about what songs we needed to sing, in what order, who needed to pray when, what we prayed for...all the way down to where we sat on her bed. It was nuts, and Evan and I found ourselves rushing through the whole thing, just to get it done because we hated the ritual so much. Not to mention the fact that neither of us could really pinpoint how the routine came to be! Finally, one night after putting Kendall to bed, Evan and I had a discussion about how we just weren't using our time very wisely with Kendall in the evenings. We both really had the desire to have some sort of family devotional, but couldn't seem to make the time for it AND her very insane bedtime routine. That particular conversation led Evan to say, "Tomorrow night, we're done with Kendall's routine and we are starting family worship." (Okay, so I can't remember his actual words, but that's what happened.)
Kendall was VERY resistant at first. She DID NOT like that we were revamping things. In fact, she shed some tears the first night. However, Evan stuck to his guns, and let me just say that the result of that has exceeded my expectations! The bedtime routine no longer produces a sense of dread in me, it brings me great joy and is a time I look forward to nightly (as do Evan and Kendall) because it has become our family worship.
I love it because it's no longer routine and rigid. We usually read a Bible Story, work on memory verses, sing songs, teach truths about God, and pray. I love it because EVERYONE participates. I love it because we are all spending time together. I love it because it challenges and encourages my faith!
We have found The Truth and Grace Memory Book to be a HUGE help. This is actually a little series of books (that are super cheap!) divided into sections with age appropriate memory verses and songs, as well as catechisms (GASP! That's not a Baptist word! HA!) to teach. Kendall LOVES it and asks for her "yellow book" every night. Obviously, we know that none of these things in and of themselves will save her, but we also know that as her parents, it is our HUGE responsibility to teach her about God, and she has to learn the facts before she can accept them as truth.
And it's just so neat to watch her connect it all together! Just this morning, we were in the car and Kendall was looking at the clouds. She said, "Mommy, those clouds are broken." I said, "Yes, they kind-of look broken, don't they?" I then asked Kendall, "Who made the clouds?" and she replied with, "God made the clouds. God is up there." I said, "Kendall, Where is God?" (Because I KNEW she KNEW "up there" was not where God is.) Kendall says, "God is everywhere." I said, "You are right, Kendall. God is everywhere." The conversation didn't end there. Kendall then says, "But I can't see God." I said, "No, you can't see God. Why not?" Kendall says, "Because God is a spirit." I know she doesn't understand all that. She's three. (Ha...Many adults don't understand that!) But I KNOW that she's hearing it and learning it. That's huge!
I say all that, giving ALL credit to the work the Lord is doing in Evan. (The fact that we are having family worship is NOTHING of either of us!) So often I harp on the things Evan needs to improve and change, rather acknowledge the things he does well and encourage him. (Why is it so often easier to focus on the negative rather than the positive?) Evan does, though, do an excellent job at leading our family spiritually and I am so thankful. I'm thankful for the examples he has had in his life over time (his dad, Scottie, particular professors during school) that have made family a priority and the role of spiritual leadership so important to him. Our little family is so blessed.
One last thing...if you are looking for "help" in the area of family worship, our worship pastor (who is one of those men I listed above that has had huge influence on Evan in the last few years!) preached a sermon a few weeks ago on this topic. It is well worth the listen and you can go HERE for the audio link. I think it's about 45 minutes, but SOOO well worth it...both challenging AND encouraging.
3 comments:
Thank you for sharing all of that!
thanks! now we need some belly shots!
That is so inspiring to hear. We have also become very routine (and dreadful) of LJ's bedtime routine. It definately needs a makeover before LJ also becomes resistant to changing it!
Post a Comment