About two Saturdays ago, Evan ran to Wal-Mart to have the oil changed in the 4-Runner. Shortly after he left the house, I got a phone call from him saying he needed me to bring my 4-Runner key, because his broke off in the ignition. Not too big of a deal, right?
Fast-forward to today.
Kendall and I went to run some errands before meeting my friend Angie for accountability. We ran to Target to pick up some milk and the rest of the supplies for Kendall's class Christmas party tomorrow, then headed for a quick trip to Bath and Body Works at the mall.
Before I get on with this story, let me also add that I'm having serious phone issues. The battery on my cell phone is pretty much shot. Evan and I actually both need new cell phones, but I loathe the thought of sitting at the cell phone store going through that hassle, especially during the holiday season, and Evan likes the fact that we aren't committed to a contract right now, not to mention has been doing the whole "shop for the best deal" thing. :) To give you an idea of how old our phones are, Evan is using my phone from when we lived in Arkansas and it was up for renewal when we moved two years ago! Anyway, we just need to bite the bullet, but new phones just haven't been priority lately.
Moving on...
When I left Target, I realized I missed a call from Angie, saying she needed to reschedule our meeting. I needed to respond to her, but knew my phone would die. I tried to text her twice, but my phone died in the middle of both texts. Ugggh...
Kendall and I get to the mall (mind you, with no working phone to tell Evan where we were or that we would be home earlier than expected) and I get Kendall settled into her stroller. I realized I left her snacks in the front seat, and as soon as I realize this, I see that MY key to the 4-Runner is bent at the tip and won't be able to unlock the door OR drive us home. No big deal, all I need to do is call Evan to bring us his key. Oh, wait. I can't call him because the battery on my phone is dead....
We walk in the mall and I go in the second store I see, which is Children's Place. (The first was Victoria's Secret.) Surely, someone in TCP will be kind and help the desperate lady with a kid in a stroller. I look around, and decide to ask the clerk that looks the least busy if I could borrow her cell phone. Thankfully, she said yes. I called Evan who then informs me that he never had HIS key remade, that MY key was the only one we had! As he is trying to solve the problem over the phone, I quickly remind him that I'm on a stranger's cell phone and ask if he can just come to the mall when he gets off work.
Kendall and I enjoyed a little "Chick-A-Fay" as she likes to call it while we waited on Daddy to come rescue us. When Evan arrives we run through our options--call a locksmith and pay $100 to have a key remade or figure out a way to get the key to the Toyota dealership and pay $10. We call our friend James who works for one of the big Toyota places, and he advised us to go with the latter. Evan called the nearest Toyota place to see what all he needed to bring in so they wouldn't think he was trying to steal the car. By the time we could get it all together, the Toyota dealership was closed for the evening.
SOOOO....Evan will get up bright and early in the morning to take Kendall and I both to school. At some point during the day, he will go have a key remade, then have someone follow him to my work to leave me a vehicle. Thankfully, it's below freezing outside, so the 1/2 gallon of milk I paid $2.05 cents for will not go to waste and hopefully, just hopefully, we can get Kendall's party supplies to her school before the party is over.
What an evening. I think I will go to bed soon.
4 comments:
Good grief, Leah. That sounds just about right. I'm sorry!
Don't you just love those days when everything seems to go wrong. Makes us thankful for the good days.
Oh my! I would say that is a bad day! Hope you can get everything straightened out!
is it ever easy?
Post a Comment