The weather has been a little on the dreary side this week--which always makes me feel kind-of bummed out for some reason. It's done wonders for our grass, though...but I'll get to that in a minute.
Evan has been a little under-the-weather lately with some kind of viral something. Sunday night, he ran to the store to get some juice and came back with Spaghetti-Os for Kendall. Call me a food snob, but I just think those things are disgusting! I can hardly stand the smell of them. I don't even think I ate them as a kid! Anyway, at first I was giving him a really hard time about feeding them to Kendall, just because I think they are disgusting, but finally decided that she probably wasn't going to die (even though the ingredient list takes up about half the label) since kids have been eating them for like a million years. He bought the kind with meatballs, and she didn't like that, but she loved the sauce and noodles. (I just thought she was kind-of cute with her messy face in this picture.
This week has been a pretty festive one in Louisville...it's Derby Week! The Kentucky Derby is HUGE here, being that Churchill Downs right in the middle of the city. People go all out for this event, and we were even out of school on Friday for The Oaks, which is the girl horse race. (No holiday for Good Friday, but you better believe we're out for the Derby. And remember all those days we've missed of school? Yep, they didn't even take this day away from us!!) While I'm not really all into the derby per-say, I do think the history behind the whole event is pretty cool, and I certainly did enjoy my Friday at home!
Kendall and I didn't do a whole lot of anything yesterday. We did run a couple of errands and go to the grocery store. While we were leaving one store yesterday morning, the lady at the check-out counter said, "Bye, honey" as we were leaving and with a big grin and wave, Kendall said, "Bye, honey" right back to her! It was hilarious. She has become SO verbal. Sometimes her words aren't super clear, but most of the time we can figure out what she's talking about.
I actually had a little scare with Kendall this morning...Evan left before 7:00 to go to a Men's Ministry prayer breakfast at our church and I was here with Kendall by myself. I decided to try out this new blueberry muffin recipe I found, and while I was messing around in the kitchen, I heard her go into the bathroom. (She loves to brush her teeth and if we leave the bathroom door open she will go in and get her toothbrush and toothpaste.) I went in to get her, and of course, she was mad. As I was trying to lead her out, she threw herself on the floor (sadly becoming more and more prevelant these days) and started in on her fit. When I picked her up, she was holding her right hand like it was hurting but it didn't really look like there was anything wrong with it. I put her in her highchair to eat, but the fit kept coming! Her cry really sounded more like an "I'm hurt cry" than a "mad" cry, so I decided I'd keep an eye on her. All through breakfast, she never lifted her right hand. She ate the whole meal with her left one. I'd ask if she could raise her arms up, and she'd only raise her left one. Even through her meal, she'd occasionally let out a little whimper. It was so strange. All I could think is "Oh my, I've hurt my child somehow!" Finally, after finishing breakfast, I call Evan and he suggests for me to call the pediatricians office. I do, and they suggest I come in for an X-Ray. At this point, I call Evan back and I'm in tears about the whole thing, thinking that the doctors/nurses are going to think I beat my child or something when I tell them the whole story! Evan tells me he's on his way home, and we'd both take her.
Well, wouldn't you know it! As I'm sitting on the couch in my tears, waiting on Evan to come home, the little stink starts dancing around and moving her arms like nothing ever happened!!! My little drama queen!!! I called the pediatrician's office and cancelled the appointment. She's been fine all day long.
The rest of the day was spent doing some necessary but not fun things...like taking the Hyundai car to get new tires and making a quick Wal-Mart run. Evan worked in the yard most of the afternoon, digging up some bushes from our front landscaping. (Kendall and I helped for a little while.) With our house being empty all last summer, our yard was not very well taken care of, so we've got some work to do! Thankfully, we've got some great things to work with and we aren't having to start from scratch.
I've got a few pictures of the front of the house from today. Hopefully, we can do before and afters to show the progress!
This is the south side of the house. We have landscaping timbers that are in rough shape all down the side, but nothing is planted. Just some grass and weeds growing. We have a bed of what we believe are day lilies that I am thinking I will transplant to this side. Also, not sure what that ever-green shrub is, but I think Evan is just going to dig it up since it's pretty much dead anyway...unless someone knows how to make it come back really pretty.
This is a picture of all the lovely weeds that need to come up. (Still on the south side.) The two boxwoods on this side are BEAUTIFUL. I worked on these weeds a little bit, but I didn't have any gloves on and my hands kept getting poked.
Evan dug up all four of those red sticker bush things today. I think his intent was to move them back a bit, but I'm not sure if that is his plan anymore. We want to plant some flowers in the front part and then have the shrubs in the back. I'm thinking about some mums that will be really pretty in the fall.
Tonight we went over to our friends' house (Andy and Tracy) for a Derby/Birthday party for their little girl, Anna Catherine. We had such a great time! We just did appetizer type foods followed by birthday cake and derby pie. (YUM!)
(BTW-Andy and Tracy have a beautiful home. Her mother owns an art gallery, so they have all these awesome art peices. She's also got all these fabulous flea market/antique finds and then just has an amazing way of putting it all together to make it look new.)
Kendall and the birthday girl!
All the kids
Watching the Derby
Singing Happy Birthday to Anna Catherine
While Tracy was cutting the cake, Kendall decided she would munch on a piece of broccoli and a tomato from the veggie tray in front of her. (Eating those tomatoes will make her Pop proud!)
Sharing cake with daddy
and mommy
LOVING the bouncer!
Oh, and I think something was on my lens and was making my pictures all really blurry. Hopefully it's all cleaned off now! I was beginning to wonder!
I know this post was so long...we've just got a really busy few weeks ahead of us with Evan and I both working. We have state testing coming up at the end of this week and will go on for two weeks. Crazy, huh? Maybe it will make the days go by faster! C'mon summer!
PS. My spell check is being strange, so if you see any mispelled words, ignore them. Also, if the layout is messed up, ignore that, too.


4 comments:
Looks like you had a fun weekend so far! I cannot get over how big Kendall is getting. She looks like so much fun. I am glad her hand is all better. I have been there. You want to take them in but wonder what the doctor will think. (Maybe I should tape them sometime...it would take five minutes of watching our youngest daredevil to see what I am up against :) Quite a Derby day today! Have a good Sunday.
Watch what you have to say about the O's! They are my favorite!! I love the Derby, even though I am a terrible better & and never ever win.
Tatumn's Papaw gave her spaghetti o's. She loves them too (as much as it pains me to say that!).
We ate a lot of Spaghetti O's at our house growing up. :) You are a good mommy to always be watching out for Kendall's best interests.
I can not believe how big she is getting! I hate missing out on so much, but am really thankful to have all of the pictures and editorial to watch her growing up.
Post a Comment