This is kind of a funny story that I bet a lot of you can relate to:
Yesterday, our friend Carey kept Kendall for us. She was going to have to be out and about while she had Kendall, so I left the car seat out of my truck at her house for her to use. When Leah picked Kendall up, she brought the car seat back.
As I was lying in bed last night, I thought to myself, "I need to remember to put the car seat back in my truck in the morning before Leah goes to work." Needless to say, I never thought about the car seat this morning until I took Kendall out to the truck to get loaded up so I could go to work. By this point, Leah was long gone with both car seats in her car. I started freaking out a little bit, but remembered that we still had the rear-facing car seat in the basement. I went downstairs and read the warning label, which said to only use that car seat for infants up to 22 lbs. Kendall weighs more than that, but I didn't have any other options and at this point I was about to be running late. So, I got the old car seat and headed out to the truck to strap it in.
I knew that if I took Kendall outside with me while I was strapping the seat in, she would take off running - probably towards the street, so I left her in the house while I buckled the car seat in. After getting the seat buckled in, I headed back into the house, only to face the startling realization that Kendall had locked the deadbolt behind me. At this point, I am REALLY freaking out. My keys and phone are both inside with Kendall, and all of the doors and windows are locked - not to mention it is about 1 minute until I need to be on the road in order to make it to work on time.
The top half of the entry door from our driveway into our kitchen is a window, and I was just about to break it, but I saw Kendall standing just inside looking at me. I didn't have my hopes up, but I started rattling the handle, pointing at the deadbolt lock and hollerin through the glass at Kendall to open the lock and let Daddy in. At first she tried to fidget with the regular lock, but sure enough, after a second she realized I was pointing at the deadbolt and she unlocked it.
In the end, Kendall made it over to Mrs. Erica's house and I made it to work on time with a funny story to tell my co-workers.
7 comments:
Oh My.... I believe I would be 'freaken' out!!!:)
wow, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has things like that happen to me all the time.
That is hilarious! That is awesome that she let you back in!!
i had that exact same situation happen to me when blair was one and we lived in a rent house. my uncle busted through the front (obviously hollow) door with his FIST because i was about to freak. I told him to just break the darn thing down, cause my baby was in there. blair was rolling around in her walker (not even sure they make those anymore). there's no feeling like being kept from your child. i can still get sick thinking about that moment. needless to say, landlord was ticked. still, WORTH IT. ;)i'd do it again. she started crying when she saw how upset i was.
in other news, wish we lived closer. chicken salad, horticare, and other stuff i wish we could share. ahhhhh.
oh, and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins. YES.
Oh my goodness, I would have been freaking out too!!! Whew, what a morning!
I am cracking up! Nothing like a little excitement to jump start your day! K is a clever little miss!
Ahh yes, the classic locked out of the house story. I think it is a rite of parenthood. :)
Post a Comment