I've been on this cooking/baking kick in the last few months, wanting to try new things and bake things from scratch. Not sure what that's all about...I've always liked cooking, but I guess you could say that I've sort-of taken it up as a hobby. I think I just feel guilty even wanting to have any sort of hobby since Evan sacrifices golf, fishing, Razorbacks (sort-of) in order to make things work while he is in school. With cooking, it's justifiable since we HAVE to eat. :)
I looked at a couple of different recipes before I made the cabbage rolls, and finally just did a combination of the two. I'll post the main recipe I went by, then go back and say the things I will do differently next time. Evan really liked them and in fact, preferred them over porcupine meatballs. He said the cabbage added just the right flavor to the meat and sauce. Kendall also cleaned her plate and asked for seconds!
8 cabbage leaves
1 pound of ground sausage or ground beef
1 small onion, diced
3/4 cup of uncooked rice
1-2 teaspoons curry powder
salt and pepper to taste
1 16 oz. cans tomatoes
Cook the cabbage in 1 inch boiling, salted water in a covered saucepan for 5 minutes. Brown sausage in the skillet, drain. Combine sausage mixture with onion, rice, curry powder, salt and pepper in a bowl, mix well. Spoon mixture on to cabbage leaves. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Place in skillet. Pour undrained tomatoes over the top. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, adding additional tomato juice if desired.
I used pork and thought that part of it was great. The meat was so lean, that I didn't even have to drain it. Curry is one of the spices that I do not prefer, so I just substituted with some Season-All, but it really wasn't enough. I think next time, I will use either chili powder or paprika (or a combination of both) and/or possibly use Italian sausage. It just needed a little something special. I also prefer tomato sauce instead of whole tomatoes, so used that instead. If anyone tries them, let me know.
I find great joy in dressing my daughter. It's just fun. I love picking out things for her to wear and putting cute little outfits together. Today, she wore one of my very favorite dresses EVER to church and when we got home I made sure I caught some sweet pictures of her in it.



8 comments:
i can't wait to make them! they seem so easy. And yes, she is sooooo cute...much cuter than the dress.
I do think cooking is a very necessary hobby...you are going to do it anyway, might as well enjoy. :) The dress is so precious as well as the little girl in it. :)
Leah, I never realized you guys had a blog. I'm going to add you to our blog list. Keep the recipes coming!
I am def going to make those! Thanks for the recipe! That dress is adorable and Kendall so cute and getting so big! Sending lots of love to ya!!!
Yes, I can confirm you are a cabbage lover and always have been! Weirdo! The recipe looks great!
Kendall is adorable, and I love that dress too!
I am going to try to cook more, too. I always say that! :) I really am though! Ben and I have gotten to the point that we just want to be home after work and not go running all over the My sister is having a girl!
Hey! I would love to do a header for you. Just email your pics and whatever you would like on it to aahankins@hotmail.com and then I could email it back to you. I love doing them.
love the pink and red together in her dress
Post a Comment