So, I'm giving myself 10 minutes to write this post because I need to be doing some major packing and cleaning. There will be no edit. Overlook the errors.
Let me give a run-down of how things have been going...
Last week...I get home from school around 3:00, with just enough time for Evan to pass Kendall off so he can go to the new house to work. (This has been the drill since we closed on the house two weeks ago today.) Evan is very, very tired because he's working on the house until wee hours in the morning, all while trying to work AND maintain all his reading for school. I had the day off on Friday, which was fabulous. Kendall and I stayed home while Evan went to class. Abby brought Christian over to play so she and Andrew could have a date. (Christian and Kendall are so cute together. He's a good, good boy!) Friday night was PNO, so Evan and I took Kendall so I could help paint at the house.
Saturday was Evan's soccer game, that Kendall and I were finally able to attend, followed by lunch at Wendy's, a visit to Lowe's with daddy, and some other errands. At this point, it's easier to run errands and have Kendall out of the house while she is awake because the floor is covered up with stuff and she has no room to play. (It's bad when you would rather take your kids to run errands than to play at home!)
Sunday was lunch with our ABF care group, then off to keep the nursery for the Discover N&O class. (New Members class. This is our nursery duty. We have other obligations on Sunday mornings, so we keep this class each month instead.) The class starts at 3:30, so Kendall had NO nap. Surprisingly, she was doing okay. We had no new members with kids show up, which we was actually a blessing, because it gave Evan a few more hours to get some things done at the house. We skipped night church (which I hate to do, b/c it's the only worship service I get during the week).
On to this week...
Monday-I had professional development all day and a friend volunteered to keep Kendall during the day so Evan could go to the house and work. I loaded up my car with boxes to take to the new house during my lunch. Run back to the new house after school and then go pick up Kendall. Kendall and I spent the majority of the evening out of the apartment, because again, it's too hard to keep up with her with all the moving stuff everywhere. Oh, and Evan stayed at the house working until 4:00 a.m. Seriously.
Side story here...Tuesday morning I didn't have to wake up as early and was able to help with Kendall a bit. I got her milk (which, by the way, she is completely OFF the bottle and taking whole milk! Praise the Lord for a feat that was amazingly smooth!) and put her in the bed with Evan. Evan then gets up with her, only to lay down on the couch and fall asleep again. As I'm getting dressed for work, I hear this banging noise, and come out of the bedroom seeing Kendall walking around with a plunger in hand. Let me just say, I was worried about how the day would go for those two!!!
Tuesday-Student Led Conferences for me from 9-6, only I ended up being there until after 7, because you ALWAYS have those who don't come at the right time or stay longer than they should. I must say that I had the BEST experiences with conferences and was very pleased with the outcome. I had NO angry parents, even the ones who had failing or near-to-failing grades weren't upset. And it wasn't because they didn't care. I'll have to post on that some other time. After conferences, I met Evan at the new house, we did the hand-off again; I brought Kendall home, bathed her, put her to bed, and started more packing.
Today-Kendall stayed the afternoon with Angie and crew and Evan had some extra hands tonight. I had a computer training (of all weeks, tonight AND tomorrow night) from 4:30-7:30 (can't get out of it because it's the last session offered!), so Angie brought Kendall to church and I picked her up after my meeting. Evan is (you guessed it) at the house working and won't be home until LLLAAAATTTEEE tonight.
Progress so far-(I will not post pictures until we can show you the "afters") Bathroom gutted, walls have been sheet rocked (sp? is that one word or two?), wall paper torn down, MOST rooms have the first coats of paint, some carpet ripped up, new floors in kitchen...and that is all I can think of right now. It's going to be fantastic. I'm in love with our basement. It's last on the remodel list (like next year) but it's going to be AWESOME!!!
Move day...FRIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am very aware that probably all that we want to do will not be completed. I'm totally okay with that. Even when I think about the fact that we have company coming next weekend, Kendall's birthday party the next week, my dad coming the weekend after her birthday, and a baby shower the next weekend. Of course, I wish it would all be finished, but I know it won't be. I'm just so happy to have a house of our own again. Someday, all the people who come to our house now will come again when it's all finished and decorated, so it's okay with me that they will see it "in process."
As I sit here and type this, I am remembering some walks I had in our beautiful "now" neighborhood last year before I gave birth to Kendall. I remember praying as I was walking, looking at all those beautiful houses. I would tell God, "I know that we may never own a home of our own again. I'm completely okay with that. BUT, if we do, I PROMISE, God, I will use it to be a blessing to you." Looking at the paragraph above, I know he is already giving me opportunities to minister to others with my home. I'm thrilled...no matter if the trim is not finished, the baseboards aren't painted, or the counter top is still ugly turquoise. I just want to be used!
I had some other thoughts, but they aren't coming to me at the moment, so I will save them for another post. Please keep us in your prayers over the next couple of days...it's getting wild! Evan and I have had LIMITED communication and we all know how that can be. We haven't had any fights or anything, we are both just exhausted, so we aren't talking to each other as nicely as we probably should. Also, just pray for Evan. He is doing an AMAZING job with all the projects, but I think he's frustrated because everything is taking longer than he intended. When I go to the house I see progress, when he goes, he just sees more work. I'm ready for a sense of normalcy to come back and I'm ready to see my hubby! :)
9 comments:
Good luck guys!! Sounds like a big job, but we can't wait to see the "after" pics!
Bless your heart! WHEW. Tired just from reading it. I think that next year you will look back on this time in your life and wonder how you ever did it! :) It's all going to pay off!
Okay, just reading about all of that made me really, really tired! Just know, this is another season (and a short one at that)...you will get through. And when you do, get out on a date together. :) Seriously, moving is one of the most stressful situations you can be in, add to that all that you are already dealing with in life plus a little one to keep happy...well, stress levels have to be high! I am SO excited to see some "after photos".
Reba
every time you get a littl overwhelmed...just remind yourself it will all be worth it in the end & it will be over sooner than you think.
So busy!!! I can't believe Kendall's birthday is coming up! Doesn't each day get more fun though! Good luck with all of your projects!!
If you need a date night after all this just let us know. We all think "Hendall" is "hute"!
Wow Leah! You guys must be exhausted! In the long run that hard work will pay off and hopefully you'll get the chance to actually relax in your new home!I can't wait to see the pictures!
I have really been "feeling" for you all lately!!! I know you both are tired!! Adam is planning on coming over tonight and I will get with you later/ tomorrow about coming this weekend to help at the house. It has been hard for me to come b/c of Grace and I hate that! Adam should be able to watch her some tomorrow so that I can come!!- Holly
You'll be in our prayers! I know how exciting a new house can be, and I'm so glad that you are using it to glorify God!
Post a Comment