Wednesday, July 9, 2008

That there's funny...I don't care who you are!

So, I just have to share a funny story from today.

While I was tutoring this morning, a few other teachers and I got in a conversation about interesting student names we've had over the years. I shared some of my all time favorite student names including, "Mercylintha" (I will not use her last name to keep her privacy, but just know it fit right along with her first name...and her personality went right along with her name!), AND found out there is a family (that I might potentially have in my classroom) with children named "Yohinas," "Yomajesty" and "Duchess". Of course, I was CRACKING up already.

So then, one of the guys that tutors at Huntington goes on to tell this story about a lady he worked with:

Apparently, she was reading through the class roster at the beginning of the year and she gets to one little boy's name. The little boy says:

"Can you call me bymynitias?" (pronounce "BY-MY-Ni-SHAS")

Teacher: "You want to be called what? Bymynitias?"

Little boy: "Yes, bymynitias."

(For all the teachers reading, we've all been there. The kids want to be called something that is not on the roster. You don't know if it's made up or for real, so you have to make a decision about what to do. I actually got to the point that I had kids get written notes from their parents saying that's what they were called, instead of what was on the roster. That's why as parents, you should always call your kid what you name them, OR write what you want them to be called on the kid's registration papers. It drives teachers crazy having to remember!)

Teacher hesitantly replies, "Okay."

For the whole first quarter, the teacher calls the little boy "Byminitias" and the little boy answers to it.

Parent/teacher conference time rolls around, and the teacher says to the parents:

"I just have one question. What is with his nickname? He wants to be called 'Bymynitias' all the time. I just don't get it."

Parents: "No, no, he doesn't want to be called 'Bymynitias' he wants to be called BY HIS INITIALS!!!"



Isn't that hysterical?!?!?!!?

14 comments:

Adam Holly Grace said...

Sounds like something that would happen in Arkansas! Roll Tide!! - Adam

Cary and Amanda said...

Oh, Leah! Remember that guy we went to school with....his name was Wonderful! Mom also had some doozies in her classes over the years.....a girl named Pajama (pronounced Paj-Uh-Muh) and a boy named S***head (pronounced Sha-theed). Can't wait to call and tell her the story tomorrow!

Leah said...

Amanda-I don't remember Wonderful...I'm gonna have to break out the year books and look him up! :)

I'm so glad you found our blog. I found some OLD pictures of you, Kara, and me riding a three-wheeler with my dad (in our Sunday dresses) from back in the day! SO FUNNY!!!

PS. Hug your mom and dad for me the next time you see them. I love them so! Your mom is one of the reasons I became a teacher!! :)

Reba said...

How funny! When I first saw the name, I tried to figure out if it meant something or was in another language...totally didn't see that coming! I don't get many unusual names. However, when I was in college, I volunteered at a local elementary school...I do remember one girl named Cindwella. I thought that was very different. However, after reading the names on here...wow! There are some creative people out there. :)
Reba

Cassie said... said...

When I was in school I had a friend with 6 six names. Shay Udonna Tamara Tumarrus Marie *****. And believe me she loved to write them all on her papers just to screw with her tachers. I also worked with a girl one time who's name was Muzical Melode. I don't remember her last name, but I'm sure it fit. But the worse name by far is the unmarried name of a close family member of mine. She was born Constant Lee Raiper. I kid you not.

Kara said...

LOL that is funny! I once knew a "LeMONjello" leh-MON-juh-lo and it was spelled Lemonjello

Tonya said...

LOL That is funny! Remember the student @ JOKMS that had the same first name and last name....Poor kid and Souvenir...

Leah said...

Oh, Lordy! I totally forgot about Joklur Joklur and Souvenir!!! COMPLETELY forgot all about those two...Joklur was a MESS!!! Kabua...I was trying to think of his last name and it JUST hit me!!!

I love the Marshallese!!! :)

Lauren said...

I am laughing out loud... I just read all of these off to Seth. My grandma had a kid in her class named Justin Case. I also know a Silver Hammers...

Lauren said...

I must add... My maiden name is Wood and my dad wanted to name me Holly. Luckily my mom won! Can you imagine?! "Hi, I'm Holly Wood!"

ashleydiggs said...

Too funny! Yes ma'am that would be the same Mark Matlock! I too remember those Dawson McAllister days! And do you remember Mercy Me and Chris Tomlin when they were with him?!

Grace, Hope and Joy said...

hilarious!!

jayna said...

That story is hilarious. My sister had a kid named Todday (pronounced tah-day) shaquel oneal jones- of course named after basketball stars Todd Day and Shaq. She also had a Stevie Wonder Sims. Too much!

Kim said...

I found your blog through a friend of a friend...anyway - I am a teacher and subbed some last year (waiting to get hired this year) - one day I HAD a Yomajesty and Princess who were siblings (surely there couldn't be two sets of these kids, but who knows!). The things parents do to their kids!