I'm trying to gear myself up/pray about an internet fast. I'm not sure how it's going to work out, being that I'm the one in charge of giving inquiring minds new info on my mom's condition. I just know that the one thing that is a hinders me from really digging into God's word is the time I spend messing around on the computer after Kendall goes to bed.
I begin with that just because, obviously, I've gone through a roller-coaster of emotions this last week, and the journey is only beginning. Evan and I had some great conversation last night about everything that is going on with my mom/my emotions and feelings towards it all and more. The one thing I know is that through this, God wants me to KNOW HIM. Not just know ABOUT Him, learn some new lesson or have an "a-ha" moment, but truly KNOW HIM. I'm determined that I can't miss out. I just can't.
I mentioned not too long ago about my quiet time (or lack thereof) and how I couldn't seem to spend consistent time in God's Word since finishing up the last bible study. I'm not sure why, but I've never been very good at just sitting down, opening up the bible and reading it. I am just one of those people that needs structure or some sort of a guide. But I really LONG to be a person (like my hubby) who can just sit down, open up God's word and read. Sometimes I feel like I'm just not smart enough to do it on my own. Sometimes I just feel like I go to the same places over and over...Psalm, James, the Gospels, Genesis 22. Other times I feel like I don't read things the way they are written or intended. Really, those are all just excuses and Satan's attempt (sadly, victorious) at keeping me from reading God's word. I've realized,though, that if I will make the effort to read the Bible, God will bless that effort. He will reveal to me places I need to turn or books I need to read. He will give me the wisdom and understanding, if I will just do it.
Last Monday evening, after we got word about my mom needing the transplants, I sat down with God. It was HORRIBLY late, but I couldn't sleep. I just talked to Him, wrote in my journal and then I turned to a comfort passage, Romans 8:28. The verse says, "And we know that in all things God works together for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Usually, I read on to the end of the chapter, where it talks about "God being for us," how he "spared his own son" and "that nothing can separate us from the love of Christ." That night, however, I stopped reading after verse 28 and decided I wanted to know more about what God said about "working together for good." I went to the cross-references (you know, the tiny writing in the middle of the columns) and wrote down all the verses that were cross referenced to verse 28. I've been reading through those the last few nights and God is revealing Himself to me. I'm learning things that I've always believed as truth, but now I KNOW it's written in scripture. At this time, while my mom is so ill and the future is so uncertain, I need to know WHO GOD IS more than anything else.
I know this is getting long (for those of you who have stuck with me!) but I really wanted to throw in this one passage that just keeps screaming at me. It's in Hebrews.
Hebrews 6:13-20 (NIV) says the following:
When God made his promise to Abraham, since there was no one greater for him to swear by, he swore by himself, saying, "I will surely bless you and give you many descendants."And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised. Men swear by someone greater than themselves, and the oath confirms what is said and puts an end to all argument. Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath. God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged. We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf. He has become a high priest forever, in the order of Melchizedek.
First, I just want to point out how big God is. When the promise was made to Abraham, God swore by himself. God couldn't swear by anyone else, because there was nothing bigger to swear by. What happened? Abraham received what was promised and was blessed with many descendants.
Next, right here in scripture it says that God's nature is UNCHANGING and it's impossible for Him to lie. In a world where things are in constant change and lie after lie is told, I'm so thankful that I can trust in God's unchanging nature and know that he will never lie to me. He will never break a promise or promise something He can't fulfill.
Last, God is HOPE. He is an anchor that is FIRM and SECURE. I don't know what tomorrow holds for my family, but I know that I can trust in the promises and truth of God's word.
If you don't hear from me via this blog for a while, just know that I'm taking some time to get rid of some distractions. I'll be back. I'm sure I'll have lots to share!
8 comments:
Looking forward to seeing what new insights you have to share.
I understand...all you have written. I know I need less computer time and more God time. I too have a hard time stopping and studying the Bible on my own. I have been doing a Beth Moore (not with videos, just the workbook at home). I am hoping when we get back home I will get into more of a quiet time routine and will actively seek Him every day! I look forward to hearing more about what God is teaching you.
Reba
I know were you are coming from. A few weeks ago I realized that I was spending at least 5 hours a day on the computer & only 30 mintes or so a day reading the Bible. I realized that I had to make some major changes. I decided that I could no longer log on to the computer (not even check email) until I had spent at least 1 hour in the word first. The first few days were torture! But as I have stuck with it I am finding that at the end of the hour I am so deep I just keep on trucking until God tells me he's done with me... not my clock or my computer! Good luck!
Leah,
Long story on how I found your blog but I am so glad I did!
First off, I am so sorry to read about everything your mom (and family) has been going through. I knew she was having some health problems but had no idea it was this extensive. I will add you and your family to my prayer list. I know that your faith in God will give you the strength and comfort you need to get through this.
Second, Kendall is BEAUTIFUL! She really is such a doll and is so big! I would love to meet her!
My e-mail is jaynaweber@yahoo.com. I would love to hear from you but be assured that I will continue to stalk your blog either way:) Please know that I am thinking of you and your family. Love, Jayna
hey,
they are actually stickers-go hobby lobby :) it was the only thing tool related I could find.
I totally relate to your blog. i have been praying about some things and thought I should do a blogging fast for awhile so I can really listen. we'll see if i actually do it. i am praying for you and your family.
GOD FORBID!!!
Tell Evan I wish the same little "blessing" on him too. LOL
I'll tell you what's amazing...watching that little baby ticker change a little day. It really reminds me what an amazing miracle the birth of a baby really is.
Thanks! (Ashley Diggs) made the tutu!
nope...but they did have the help of a neighbor friend. I was in the bath. I could hear them doing it, but I had no idea they had my Canon out.
As for the meatloaf, I don't have a recipe or anything, but I can tell you what I do.
First I chop one large onion and cook it in a little butter until done. While they cook I add salt, pepper, 2 eggs, around 1/2 cup katsup, sage & garlic to 2 pounds of lean ground beef. Next I mix in the onions & one package of crushed soda crackers. I mix it by hand until it's well mixed. Then I plop it onto a cookie sheet with sides. I shape it into a laof. If you have one, cook it on a cookie rack...you won't have to drain it at all.
Cook it about an hour or 2 depending on the size. Just before it's done mix katsup, brown sugar and worshtershire sauce to top the meatloaf with. Pour over meatloaf and cook another 10-12 minutes.
That's the best I can tell you. Sorry I don't have a better recipe.
Post a Comment