Sunday, May 18, 2008

Our Week at Home

Tuesday, we went to a Louisville Bats (minor league) baseball game with some couples from our ABF. (I guess I need to start calling it that instead of SS. Those of you who aren't N&O folks, that's Adult Bible Fellowship.) The weather was actually a little chilly, but we had fun being outside. I think we made it to the 8th inning before Kendall started getting fussy and ready for bed. She, of course, had the attention of all the people sitting behind us. Below is a picture from the game. Glasses don't photograph well, huh??? I took Kendall in for her weight check on Wednesday. I was pretty nervous about the appointment, because I wasn't sure how much weight Dr. Lynch was expecting Kendall to gain. Evan didn't go with us, but he prayed with me before we went, and I found lots of comfort in that...even though I was literally shaking when I put Kendall on the scales. I am HAPPY to say that Kendall gained 11 ounces in two weeks, putting her at 12 pounds, 6 ounces. Woo Hoo!!! (Dr. Lynch was hoping for 7 ounces and was THRILLED that Kendall gained 11!)

I had an amazing conversation with Dr. Lynch about nursing (which I am continuing to do in the morning and at night) and we even got a little teary-eyed together. One of the things she said, which I thought was so true was, "As mothers, we set this goal for ourselves to only nurse for a full year and when we don't meet it, we feel like we don't get to join the 'I nursed-my-baby-for-a-year-club' and we shouldn't do that to ourselves." I found such comfort in hearing her say that! I think part of it was just seeing the human side of Kendall's doctor. Sometimes, we treat doctors as "knowing everything" and forget they are regular people, too. Dr. Lynch has a 16 month old son that she nursed for a year so I asked her, "If you saw that your son wasn't gaining weight properly from nursing, would you put him on formula?" Her reply, without batting an eye, was "Absolutely. It would have been the hardest thing for me to do, but absolutely." She is probably my favorite in the clinic and I may have to request her from now on!

Saturday morning, I tutored for a while. When I got ready to drive home, I immediately called Evan to tell him it was too pretty to spend the day sitting inside the apartment. He said, "Don't you worry about that. Just come home, change into something comfy and be prepared to be outside for a while." (Thank goodness I bought sunscreen on Friday!) Of course on the whole drive home, I was trying to figure out what in the world Evan had up his sleeve...

A bluegrass festival!!!! Oh, it was so fun! I know some of you are probably thinking, "How can you listen to that stuff?" but Evan and I love it! The festival was at a national park about 30 minutes away, and when we finally got off the interstate to get to the park, I felt like we were driving through Elkins and then going on the Pig Trail. The scenery was so pretty! We heard one group (I don't remember the name) and then the "big" group at the end--Dr. Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mountain Boys. (If you aren't familiar with his name, does Man of Constant Sorrow ring a bell?!?!?)

Kendall enjoyed playing outside, too. Evan and I decided that yesterday was probably the first time she has been outside for an extended period. She seemed to enjoy rolling around on the blanket and just hanging out. I think she liked the music, too.

Probably the funniest thing about the whole afternoon was once we got there, Evan and I were checking out the concessions. We were hoping for some serious "festival" food...Evan wanted a turkey leg and I was thinking more along the lines of a funnel cake. We were a little disappointed to find that our "festival" food was a little more like "concession stand" food. Evan went for a glass of tea and I went for a nice, hand-dipped, cookies-and-cream ice cream in a waffle cone. While I was trying to get the paper-cone-cover thingy off the end of the cone, somehow I accidentally crushed the cone and my ice cream went tumbling to the grass!!! Oh yes. I got two bites out of my $3.25 ice cream come. Let's just say that even though I have laughed a lot about it, I was a little hacked that I didn't get to eat any of it!!! My sweet hubby did later go buy another ice cream cone for us to share to make up for it!

Here are a few pictures of Kendall and Evan from yesterday's festivities...


I guess that is about it. I've been doing some scrap-booking after Kendall goes to bed the last couple of nights, so my house that was once clean when we came home from AR is no more. I also was caught up on laundry, but will begin that cycle all over again tomorrow!

Hope you've had a great weekend, too!!!

6 comments:

Lauren said...

They actually bought the house from some friends of my parents!! It's an older home... not huge... Bigger; but not huge! It is probably great for entertaining, though! They have a horse pasture with some horses. So exciting! I drive by every day hoping she'll be checking her mail or something! :)

Adam Holly Grace said...

I love the University of Alabama hat you have on Evan. Glad to see that the effectual call from Tuscaloosa finally came through! - Adam

Lindsey said...

So glad that Kendall's visit went well!

The Hickmans said...

So glad you had such a great weekend!! Isn't hanging out with the fam so much fun?!

Carey said...

Hi Leah,
When are you leaving to go out of town? My email is
careywillems at hotmail dot com. Email me and we'll get your bag back to you, too.

Meredith said...

Yay for Kendall's great appointment! I know you are so relieved. Sounds like you are right back in the swing of things there. Lots of fun stuff going on!

We'll miss you guys on Saturday!